Respiratory Disorders Community
back pain and phlegm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

back pain and phlegm

I am a 25 yr old female, and I have been having left mid back pain for about a year and a half, and put off going to the chiropractor.  It is one particular spot, and hurts when I inhale.  In July 2008, I began to have pain in my chest on the left side, same area as my back pain, and began treating it with ibuprofen.  I went to the doctor in August 2008, because of a cough and sinus problems.  He said I had sinusitis, listened to my lungs and said they were clear, despite having phlegm in my lungs.  In the morning, it is thick and brown, but is clear the rest of the day.  I am constantly  trying to get rid of it, but I also try not to cough because it hurts my back.  The doctor prescribed presdnisone, cough syrup with codeine, fluticasone propionate nasal spray, an antibiotic, and an allergy medicine.  I took everything as prescribed, and my sinus issue cleared up.  I called my doctor about the phlegm and he said that if my problems persist, I will need to see a specialist.  I get the impression that he thinks I have allergies.  As of now, October 2008, I am currently only taking zyrtec-D, ibuprofen for my back pain, metformin for insulin resistance, and synthroid for hypothyroidism.  I also decided to visit a chiropractor in September to try to resolve my mid back pain. It has helped my neck and my lower back ( I sit all day at a computer), but my mid back pain still hurts, particularly when take a deep breathe.  The chiro said I have a subluxated rib, but did not do x-rays.  It makes weird crunching noises when I inhale, and has done so for at least a year . Occasionally, I wake up in the morning and my left eye lid is droopy (same side as my back pain).  Common sense tells me that this is all related, but I don't know who to see about it.  I don't know if this is important, but I have a hard right supraclavicular node, about the size of a pea.  My doctor ordered a CT scan on it about 8 months ago, and report said that they found everything within the normal limits (this occured when the back pain was less severe, and I did not have any phlegm or a cough).  Should I see a pulmonary specialist for this back pain and phlegm?  Is this crunching noise something I should be concerned about? Or, should I just keep taking the zyrtec-d, go to the chiro, and hope that it eventually clears up?      
Tags: Zyrtec-D
Hey, I am having similar problems except that the pain is in the mid-right area of my back. What did the doctor say?