Respiratory Disorders Community
coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

coughing

I have a history of sinus infection.  2 years ago I had sinus surgery.  It helped for about 1 year but now I have sinus  problems about 2 times a year.  The one I am fighting now has been on going for over a month.  I have been coughing up real thick phlegm which is not colored. This would go on for 1 -3 hours a night.   I went to the Dr. and he took a X-ray of my sinuses and a chest X-ray.  He put me on 5 day Zithromax, and mucinex, and that helped a little, but then the cough  came back full blown.  I went into the ER and was sent home with cough mediceine with codiene, and 10 days of Levaquin.  (One night I was coughing so bad I grabbed my husband inhaler (Albuteral)  That stopped my coughing almost instantly.   So I have been using that at night If I start to cough. )  But the phlegm has never gotten thinner.   I finished the  Levaquin yesterday and felt pretty good.  At least I could sleep for 6 hours.  Before I was getting 3-4 hours of sleep at night.   Today it all seems to be starting over  again.  I have been coughing up Phlegm for about an hour now.   I feel that there is something else going on with me.  The chest X-ray showed that I didn't have pneumonia.  Is there some tests or another kind of Dr. I should be going to see?   I have no faith in the ear, nose and throat Dr. that did my surgery.  I can't keep getting this 2 -3 time a year.   Please give me some advice as to what my next step should be.  The Drs. around here  just keep sending me home with a different antibiotic.
Thank you.

This discussion is related to Phlegm Build-Up.