Respiratory Disorders Community
could it have been pertussis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

could it have been pertussis?

i had a very chesty violent cough which gave me coughing fits when i laughed or breathed heavily and also woke me up during the night with coughing up thick mucus. this cough began with other mild cold-like symptoms and lasted about 1 month before i was given amoxycillin. the cough lasted for about 8 months, during which i was given more amoxycillin, and finally subsided after i was diagnosed and treated with erythromycin for walking pneumonia.
i am very curious to what caused the long term cough as i never had any cultures done to determine the cause, i was also very surprised that no-one i was in close proximity to caught it off me, and then i remembered that i was never immunized for pertussis as a child and the people i was spending time around were. there was no 'whooping' when i coughed but the coughing fits were definitely quite extreme and uncontrollable and aggravated minor things like exercise or laughing.

This discussion is related to long term cough.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Pertussis or whooping cough is more common in children, so its unlikely to be the causative factor. The other causes for long term cough besides asthma are GERD and post nasal drip from allergies. GERD is gastro esophageal reflux disease where the stomach acids come back into the esophagus and spill into the wind pipe causing cough. Treatment with antacids will help neutralize the acids. Post nasal drips can occur with sinusitis and throat infections. Giving up cigarettes will abolish smoker's cough in 90% of people.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.