Respiratory Disorders Community
intercostal muscle cramping following acute exacerbation of asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have had an acute exacerbation of asthma lasting 5 weeks now.  Sputum cultures and chest xrays were both negative.  I'm taking many asthma meds which in the past have controlled the asthma but no longer seem to be doing the job.  Lately I've been having muscle spasms in my back and intercostal regions.  The muscles knot up like ropes and I can't stretch out the muscles the way I would if it were in my legs.  My NP suggested that I'm just dehydrated and to drink more H20 and/or gator aid, to replace electrolytes.  Though I'm doing that, the spasms continue.  The coughing is improving slightly  but causes pain under my ribs and the muscles feel like they are tearing.  Is it possible to herniate a muscle from coughing or does it just feel like that somehow?  How do I stop the muscle spasms?

This discussion is related to Intercostal muscle pain, costochondritis, or pleurisy?.
I tend to have alot of spasms with coughing....it is usually painful too. I think it is the work the muscles have to do from all of the coughing...kind of like running too much and then having cramps afterwards in your legs. What helps me is a nice hot shower, moist heating pads, ibuprofen etc....
Sunny