Respiratory Disorders Community
only symptom is coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

only symptom is coughing

I'm a 27yr old female who has had a persistant cough for going on 3 weeks now. the coughing is my only symptom. No fever, swollen glands, or anything else that indicates some sort of infection. My sputum is always white. My cough is a hacking cough and I can't breathe and I gasp for air. It feels like I'm choking on dust or something. Also, now when I eat popcorn or chips little bits seem to get into my lungs because it feels like I'm choking on it the whole time I'm eating it. I've also been experiencing severe abdominal pain on and off for the last several months. It comes on suddenly and will completely go away if I lay down. What's wrong with me? Please help!!
There are many causes for a chronic cough (more then 3 months). The three main ones are asthma, GERD and post nasal drip. The best thing you can do is visit our doctor, describe your symptoms, and see what tests are ordered. Sometimes you will be given a trial drug for a  few weeks to see if your symptoms clear up. It takes a bit to get to the root cause as it can be hard to distinguish where the root of the cause is located.