Respiratory Disorders Community
pleurisy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

pleurisy

hi I was diagnosed with pleurisy 2 wks ago had antibiotics for a wk went back to doctors last Monday he said it was clearing up I told him i was still in pain he said it was normal just need to rest and I should feel better after another wks off work he did send me for a chest xray last Monday but won't get the results back till this Monday coming, the problem is I still don't feel well I can't put any pressure on the side I had the pleurisy and on Thursday it started to get very painful again and felt very sick the pain has settled down a bit but I can not stop feeling so sick, is it normal to feel like this and should I go back to the doctors as my doctor said he wouldn't need to see me again just phone up to get my results for the x Ray, could someone please give me some advice as its really getting me down.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. The pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed causing pain and is referred to as pleurisy. This can happen with infections like tuberculosis or pneumonia. Therapy lies in treating the underlying cause. As the causative factor is dealt with pleurisy is likely to resolve. It may take longer for the pleural inflammation to resolve, and sometimes it can even persist. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.