Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
recovering from pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

recovering from pneumonia

about two weeks ago i developed a pain in the right side of my chest. i was first diagnosed with costochondritis. However after an x ray i was told that i had pnemonia (pneumonia) in the lower right lobe. I was given antibiotics (Crixan)and told to rest. After 1 week the fever was gone and a new xray showed that the inflamation (inflammation) was gone. However i continue to get a pain in my right side when i lie down at night. Sitting up relieves it but the area is still sore especially when i breathe deeply. I am coughing little spots of blood but my mucus is clear. i have this salty taste in my mouth. I have no fever.Today i'm going for a CT Scan. How could this be happening if i've been told that the second xray showed that my chest had cleared up. Could the pneumonia be getting worse. I'm reaaly worried. I'm 47 and never been seriously ill. I do have a tendency to suffer from sinus and a nasl drip. My doctor has told me in the past that i do tend to get acid reflux? My country does not enjoy high end medical facilities.
The salty taste in your mouth could be from the blood in your mucus.  Even though the infection that caused the pneumonia has gone away, it is possible for inflammation to linger.  Pleurisy is inflammation or irritation of the pleura, the sac that holds the lungs.  This can cause chest tightness and pain, which is felt more with deep breathing and coughing.  Getting the CT scan is the proper thing to do at this time.  This will help the doctor to know if there is some problem other than the pleurisy that needs to be treated differently.

Eventually pleurisy will resolve but it may take weeks.  During this time it is important to treat the pain so that you are able to breath as normal as possible so that other problems do not start.  Two things that may help with the pain are:
It could be pleurisy, or a separated rib due to heavy coughing. If the pain is unbearable, go to the ER. If it is bearable, just wait one more week and see if it has improved at all.
I just got back the CT Scan
it states
"There is evidence of pleural thickening at the posterior aspect of the right lower lobe most marked at the posterior right costo-diaphragmatic sulcus. On lung window settings, small focus of air space shadowing at posterior basal segment is seen. Appearances are of residual inflammatory changes. No focal lung nodules are identified in either lung. No evidence of hilar or mediastinal adenopathy. No Pleural effusion."
My doctor just put me on new antibiotics- Elequine.
He doesn't seem worried but i don't understand the report.
Can i get this explained in simple language by doctor
Posterior means backside.The pleura is the lining around the lungs. It seems like they are saying you have pleurisy (also known as pleuritis). This can be caused by pneumonia, and over a period of time usually heals itself. Call your Dr. and ask if this is what it means. If not, ask him to explain it to you in laymans terms. Find out if there is anything you can do to speed the healing process.

Here is a link I hope will help.
http://wiwi.essortment.com/pleurisywhatis_rqtd.htm
I finally got the explanation from my doctor who confirms that it is pleurisy. He advised me to finish the course of antibiotics and rest with acetamophen for the pain. I've done that. The course of antibiotics are finished. I noticed that a few days age the pain went away and i got up and became active again. The pain came back. i rested, a day later the pain went but came back a couple of days later. I finished the antibiotics today but still, i have the pain. it is not sharp, more like an ache. If the underlying cause has been treated can the pain still be there. How long does it normally take  for the pleurisy to heal? I am self employed and haven't worked for two weeks
It can take weeks for a complete recovery, sometimes longer. Try to pac eyourself, even if you are feeling well. Don't wait for the pain to stop you. Try not to anything too strenuous. Work for an hour or two, and then rest for an equal period of time. Lsten to your body's signals. Have faith, you'll feel better soon. :)
Well, here i am sometime later. I wash sent to see a specialists who ran a series of blood and cardiac tests on me. She confirmed that i have no heart disease, my blood tests were all negative,no clotting of my blood and i was given a second CT Scan that confirmed that i have "extensive pleural inflammation" I am on Oflen during the day and Tramacet + Pannadeine at night. During the day i am allright but even though i take the painkillers at night by 3.00 am i an in pain which seem to come from various areas of my rib or back area especially when i breathe with any degree of depth. I now sleep in a chair. Its reached a stage that i actually get anxious to go to sleep knowing what awaits me in the early morning. My specialist has suggested that we wait 2 weeks and then consider a biopsy. I have noticed that my pain is less if i remain in bed but i am self employed and the sole support of my family. How long does this go on for? Is there anything that i can do to hasten the healing process. I always found that if i got the flu, exercise would always help speed the recovery. I also believe that the fact that no one has been able to tell me what caused the pleurisy has made me even more anxious. My doctor says that i ought not to be surprised that even after all the tests are completed that they will still may not know. Today i have to go for an MRI of my spine because the CT scan showed that i had arthritis in my 5th and 6th verterbrae which may ( they think) cause the radited pain.... The saga continues.
I had double pneumonia in Feb. and was in the hospital for 6 days.  I was sent home with oxygen and have a nurse who comes in once a week to check me.  Last time I seen my Dr., two weeks ago, my poly ox or what ever it is called, the thing they put on your finger, measured 97.  But the Dr. checked my heart beat and it was rapid.  Previously she said I may be able to go off of oxygen the end of April.  Now I am concerned the rapid heartbeat will keep me on oxygen.  She said to take the oxygen off when I was sitting, but to wear it overnight and when I was moving around.  I thinking of getting another opinion.  Is a rapid heart beat common in this situation?