what is hemidiaphragm hernia
I'm 43 yrs old and have known since 10 yrs ago that i have a hemidiaphram hernia at the right. I'm not sure if this is the right medical term. It seems that every year that i had my xray for the annual PE the difference between my left and right lung becomes bigger. last 2002 i think i had a ct scan to be sure that nothing is wrong with the organs like the liver that may cause the elevation of the right lung. although the doctor said that the diaphragm needs to be repaired and this is a major surgery i just lived with the defect without going through the operation. This year however, it seems that i often catch colds and cough every now and then even if i have an active flu vaccine. it really bothers me because the whole month of january until now i still have this cough despite medications of antiasthma, mucolytics and antibiotics. so i had an xray to make sure i have no pneumonia or bronchitis. As explained by the family doctor the result showed no pneumonia or bronchitis but the usual elevation of the right diaphram. I want to know if the defect causes my frequent colds and cough. if so what are the remedies i can do to avoid the frequent cold and cough attacks other than undergoing a repair. Can carrying heavy loads or physical fatigue cause any aggraviation of my condition.? Are there other procedures done to repair the defect other than an open surgery? What type of specialist or surgeon should i consult if i intend to have the repair done. I'm in the Philippines and don't know what's the statistics for this type of disorder.  What are the advantages or disadvantages of undergoing the repair. how long is the recovery period? I need to consider all these because i have four kids who are all still in the elementary or primary grades.

Thank you so much. Your opinion will be of great help in whatever decision i will make in the future regarding this disorder.