Restless Leg Syndrome Community
How is RLS usually diagnosed?

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a neurological disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations in the legs and an uncontrollable, and sometimes overwhelming, urge to move them for relief. Discuss topics including causes, medical or alternative treatments and how to get more sleep while suffering from RLS.

How is RLS usually diagnosed?

I don't have any personal doubt about whether I have the condition -- but having finally decided to get help for it (warm rags, exercise, and a better diet haven't seemed to do anything), I am wondering how the condition would be confirmed in the doctor office. Is a sleep study usually required? I saw this mentioned in another thread, but the idea conjures up a mildly unpleasant scenario. Do they watch you fall asleep? Can I just get a blood test or something like that instead?

Thanks,

Vafthruthnir
There is no blood test.  My doctor diagnosed it by my description..others do a sleep study.  Depends on how in depth you want to be.  There are doctors that can treat it.
Thank you, littlebit667. Do you know how a study is done?

I saw a room apparently for that function at a neurologist's office. It was set up like a bedroom, but oddly, that just makes me more uncomfortable -- I think I'd prefer a classic hospital bed type setup!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind being hooked up to a machine for a night, if it comes down to it, but I don't like the idea of being observed.
Sorry for the double post; I forgot to address the previous one to littlebit667.
Mine was done at the hospital.