Rheumatoid Arthritis Expert Forum
Arthritis or What??

This Rheumatoid Arthritis forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Arthritis or What??

When I wake in the mornings, my left thumb and my 3 middle finger joints and thumb on my right hand hurts like mad.  What can this be?  I work in an office and use the keyboard and mouse constantly, can that be the reason this is happening?  Is there some topical ointment I can rub on it to make the aching pain go away?  If not, is there some oral medicine used to treat this kind of pain!!  Thank you in advance for your help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi!

Welcome to the forum.

If you are having this problem since few days then have some pain killers like Ibuprofen for relief. You can also massage some diclofenac ointment preparations.

You have to follow proper ergonomics and also the proper way you use the keyboard to give relief to your fingers. Give some rest between works and do some stretching exercises with fingers.

If you are suffering from long term and have this morning stiffness we would advise you to go to a Rheumatologist.
You have to check for Rheumatoid factor and go for an X-ray for diagnosis of Arthritis. What other symptoms do you face? Detailed history would be necessary for screening of Rheumatoid arthritis.

Take care and keep us posted.
Thank you for the quick response.  My mother suffers from arthritis but it is not RA.  Is this arthritis hereditary?

I will make an appointment and have my hands x-rayed.  I have had a doctor inject steroid in the joints on both thumbs and this seems to help for a while but then the pain comes back.  It is a dull aching pain and it bothers me alot.  Would naproxen help?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi again,

Yes Osteoarthritis sometimes is hereditary so are other forms of arthritis.

But you have to be diagnosed at least by an X-ray. Steroid can be injected for pain and it is good if it works. You can try steroids for 4-5 times in the future if it works for you and remember an expert has to inject steroid always.

Naproxen is fine but:  remember pain killers should only be used intermittently and if diagnosed by arthritis you will have its own course of treatment.

Take care!