Oral or genital HSV-1?
Hello, I just received a positive for HSV-1 on a blood test, however I've never noticed sores on my mouth or nether regions. Is there a way to tell where the virus might manifest itself in the future (or where it has in the past)? Several years ago I slept with someone who told me he had herpes, though he didn't specify which kind, only said he did not have an outbreak at the time. We used a condom, but he did preform oral sex on me. I never noticed any symptoms after I slept with him even though I was on "high alert." I've never had a herpes test before, but I've given blood and had a pap smear without any positive results. Is it possible I've had HSV-1 for many years without any symptoms or did it likely develop more recently, since my last gyn visit? If that's the case, when is it appropriate to tell a sexual partner, if ever? Also, does this prevent me from donating blood? Thanks for any help.
Hi and welcome. Its best to post this in the herpes forum as is specific.