STDs Expert Forum
ARS HIV Flaky Skin, Severe Sore Throat

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

ARS HIV Flaky Skin, Severe Sore Throat

I had protected vaginal sex and gave unprotected oral to a CSW on 29th Dec  2011. I was a bit drunk, but I recall when pulling out checking all was ok with the condom ( all semen was captured and it was on). in the week after for about a week I developed dry patch under my eyes, behind ears

memory is not 100% perfect, this does not help my nerves

Oral sex was done, and my tongue is quite long so I was inside, I had also a  cranker sore on my lip at the time

I had drank a of alcohol, without much water or food.

Two weeks after event I got tested for all STD ( also in mouth) and was clear. (HIV ok antibody as well but too early)

Close to just under 5 weeks after incident I started to have a mild sore throat, which has now as I write turned severe (turned severe after 5 weeks). Its been severe for about 3/4 days now. I have had runny nose and sneeze, but these have stopped and now I have just very sore throat especially when I swallow. Its bad at night and it woke me up last night.  Its now just over 6 weeks. I took another test last week and I am waiting on results on the 13 Feb. All in all have had throat for 10 days now going from Mild to severe ( and in middle runny nose)

I read all the good advice here, also from teak and lou ( great people), but I have never had such a sore throat, and when you have a severe sympton such as this after an event, its very difficult not to worry. I do not have a fever or rash, no night sweats or swollen next nodes. Just sore throat and for a few days runny nose and sneeze

The doctor gave me a week of penicillan started 3 days ago but this has not had effect. He did not seem worried about HIV, though when I seen him throat was not severe as it is now

Its just I cannot understand this throat and the skin before, the penicillan should have worked if it was a bacterial infection. I am so worried this is ARS HIV

What could cause this throat to be so bad, Does this sound possible to be ARS HIV?

Welcome to the Forum.  Sorry to hear that you have a severe sore throat. This however does not suggest an STD or ARS.  There is simply no evidence that HIV is spread through oral sex (giving or receiving).  While the quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts, including us, state there is virtually no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  In fact, we no longer even see a medical reason to recommend HIV testing related specifically to oral sex.  

I'm please to hear that you got tested for STDs at ALL sites of exposure- good job. This effectively rules out the possibility that these problems relate to the encounter you describe and suggest that you have had the unfortunate mis-fortune to get a bad sore throat, possibly viral, unrelated to the sexual encounter you describe.  

I hope my comments are reassuring.  EWH

p.s.  The flaky skin does not suggest ARS either.  EWH
Also had a mild soore throat along with flaky skin on face
Many Thanks for your answer

Throat is quite sore still, hope it clears up soon

Also it was an escort not a CSW ( if there is any real difference)
thks again, just a final one to finish off, sorry to drag this out,  chances of Hiv are low indeed?

I can take the protected as 100%

also the fact thats its an isolated throat and started 5 weeks after event, also have a few mouth ulcers on side of tongue just appear

Escrots are CSWs.  If you think differently, you are fooling yourself.  Money was exchanged.  

Five weeks is too long to be an STD for these symptoms.

Protected is, for all practical purposed, 100% vs. HIV.  EWH
And would you consider 5 weeks To long for ars with this sore throat?

Sorry ask again, but its really really painful when i swallow its 6 weeks today

Many thks for your kind help and advice

Ps, i meant to post this thread in rhe hiv section
Hi Doctor.

I just got my results for the antibody test for HIV 1 and HIV 2. My Country does not offer the Duo test

Both are negative. The tests were done at 39 days (5.6 Weeks)

So I think it seems then my really sore throat and dry mouth were as you say a virus or just a dirty sore throat that pops up sometimes and not caused by ARS HIV, I am sure my recent days of pure stress did not help. I have been in bed for days

I will go back for the same test at 12 weeks, I think this first test is quite a strong result?, and I can relax a little and look at the next test as a formality?, though one that needs to be done

Once again, Thanks for advice when I needed it.

Yes, this is a helpful report. If your sore throat had been due to HIV, the antibody test would have been positive because the symptoms of the ARS are followed in just a few days with positve antibody tests.  You should not be worried.  EWH
ok, thks, though I had the test last monday and the severe sore throat came on wed? I had mildish sore throat the day of test,should be ok?
yes, you should be OK.  EWH
thks, I will go for a test at 8 and 12 weeks?, also is 5 weeks to late for ARS symptons anyway? Can I really relax as yet, still a bit nervous, even though Im sure protected was ok, its just how bad the throat was

Can I really rest easy, or need to wait?
Sorry to ask again, I hope this is my last ever post. I just need to try to close this

But also my wife wants to start together for a baby ( as I do in principle) this weekend, as if I did not feel bad enough I think I may have to tell her what i did, as I am afraid to have unproctected with her

On the site, I read that ARS happens before 3 weeks at latest. So my isolated sore throat would be quite far out ( after just under 5 weeks)?, though severe came after my antibody test, it was mild before,

And my test at 5 weeks and 4 days for antibodies was negative. Also fact that I had protected vaginal with CSW. I just cant shake how bad this throat was

Doctor referenced a HIV throat, did that mean you thought it could have been a possibility

Can I really take it that I am ok? Is this really a prudent calculation below based on law of probability

I mean chance CSW was HIV = 1/50
Chance if she was to give me HIV = 1/100
Chance of my condom not working = 1/200
fact that I have a 39 day negative antibody =1/10

Prob = 0.00001%

I am just so worried that the test on the Monday at 39 day (with sore throat)  did not pick up my very sore throat on the wed/thurs =41/42 days?

am i being a bit to stressed in the details?, I know I am, but its very hard to see clear at moment

Im sorry to push

There is little meaningful difference between a 39 day test, particularly after a no risk exposure such as you describe.  

Your anxiety is getting the best of you.  No matter how often you test or when it is, the results will continue to show that you did not get HIV from the encounter you have described.

This will end this thread. Take care. EWH