STDs Expert Forum
Can I give myself genital herpes if I have oral herpes?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I have done extensive online research about this, and it seems that I'm okay for the time being...But, this is a somewhat specific situation for which I need medical assistance.

I've had HSV1 for as long as I can remember and oral outbreaks have been part of my life.

Recently, I had an outbreak.  A man whom I've been seeing kissed me when I was at the tail end of a outbreak, the sore was pretty much healed over.  If anything it was more of a cut that was healed.  The man then briefly performed oral sex on me.

What are the chances that my oral herpes were transferred to his lips and he then gave me genital herpes because he gave me oral sex?

To me, this seems similar to touching myself after touching my herpes or masturbating with my saliva, both of which, in these forums, it was stated that giving yourself genital herpes just was not possible.

Also, I can't see a virus working that quickly...me transferring it to someone and within minutes, it being transferred back to a different part of my body.  Also, like it's been stated, HSV1 tends to "prefer" the original site of infection.  Also, since I've had numerous outbreaks in my life, autoinoculation doesn't seem feasible either.
Your reasoning is exactly right.  Since auto-inoculation herpes is rare, the indirect route of exposure you describe also is impossible--or at least such miniscule risk you definitely do not need to worry about it.  You probably couldn't give yourself genital herpes with your own oral HSV-1 strain even if you tried to do so.  Maybe if you picked at an oral lesion then intentionally (and immediately) scratched your penis with the infected material--and even that probably wouldn't work.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
I have a similar concern, although  I have HSV-2 in my mouth (I've had 2 OB's and both were in my mouth, so although I've tested positive for both types of HSV's, I think it was the latter).  Anyway, I kissed my partner and he had oral sex w/me and then intercouorse without a condom.  When i got home later that night, I noticed that the irritation inside my mouth was actually a sore in the back.  

My question is... how likely is it that I now have HSV-2 genitally?  I've never had a breakout genitally, only orally.  

Thanks.
i have a question too and its freaking me out. i kissed this real creepy guy like 4 days ago and i started to get these little white bumps on the tip of my tongue, but now it is just this white spot on the tip of my tongue it llooks like its gonna turn into a blister im so scared. its been 4 days since i kissed him but everytime i saw him he had no sores or anything on his mouth and his friends say that they dont think he has it. im frreakinggg outtt because i have a boyfriend and he will fcuking killll me please tell me i dont have hereps.
A related discussion, Need info was started.
A related discussion, Can you give yourself oral herpes? was started.
A related discussion, saliba on penis was started.