STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia Tests Between Partners. One Positive One Negative. How?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Facts:
I had been with my partner since July 2002. I found out he was cheating January 2003.  We worked out everything.  I never had any problems with my body until September 2004.

September 2004 I went to the doctor due to discharge and odor.  A culture was done and it indicated that I had BV, which is not an STD.  I was treated and I was fine until late December.  I noticed spotting between periods and odor along with mild itching.  I brushed it off as the BV reoccuring,so I used the remainder of the cream I used in September.  By February, the spotting was very heavy and the odor was very noticeable.  I also started having pelvic pains.  I went to the doctor Feb 9, and discovered by cervix was bleeding.  A culture was taken and I was diagnosed with chlamydia.  September 2004, I did not have it, my doctor checked my lab results from September and Chlaymedia was negative and BV was positive.  I contacted my partner, and he said that he had not been with anyone but me since January 2003, he took a test 02/17/2005 and tested negative for Chlaymedia.  How did this happen?  I've read that sometimes people can be carriers and test negative, is this true?  Can you pass it someone and still test negative.  I'm confused.  Please Help!!!!
You clearly had pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) due to chlamydia.  Assuming you had no other partners, you acquired it from your partner.  Most likely that happened more recently than January 2003; it is uncommon for a woman to carry chlamydia for 18 months without problems and then get symptoms.  However, there probably are exceptions--so there may be a chance your partner is being truthful in saying he had no other partners since 2003.  However, although BV may or may not be sexually transmitted, it often is a sign of STD risk--so I am suspicious you were infected around that time.

There are several ways your partner could have been infected but still had a negative test in Feb '05.  Chlamydia clears up on its own without treatment, typically within several weeks or months, so he could have been infected at one time, and still had a negative test later.  Or perhaps he took antibiotics in the meantime.  Or perhaps his test was falsely negative (depending on what test was done).

I hope this helps.  Best wishes-- HHH, MD
I was in a similiar situation,   Girlfriend tested positive,  me negative.  Couple of reasons were given:

1.  Chlamydia resolved itself,  which seems to happen primarily in men.
2.  The test wasn't done right or when the culture was taken,  a good specimen wasn't taken.
I thoght you would not see my added post, so I jumped here...sorry... an update, I just called for the results, and the clinic tells me everything came back negative, Chlamydia, Gonorreah, & Syphillis (syphilis). So, that to me is strange that when they took the swab, they said Urethris & when my bloods got back, all was negative? Lastly- If you have sex with someone & wear a condom, with no oral, then its safe to say they cannot get that STD right? Chlamydia that is.
Only about a third of NGU cases are due to chlamydia, so your negative test results aren't surprising.

A properly used condom that doesn't break and remains inplace is 100% protection against acquiring chlamydia or any other infection in the urethra.

HHH, MD
I am 18 years old and i had clamydia (chlamydia). i want to know if i could get pregnant? because i been trying to get pregnant for over a year. the doctor told me i dont have it any more but i still have doubts? what advise can you give me. the reason i have doubts is because clear sticky gel comes out from my vagina? is it normal?
See previous response to same question.  Please re-post as a new string.

HHH, MD
My girlfriend just informed me she tested positive for chlamydia.  She has been abstinent for a very long time, and I am the first partner she's been with.

I am scheduled to get my test done tomorrow where my penis will be swabbed by my doctor.

I had absolutely no reason or symptoms of this disease (penis discharge, burning, etc.), which I read on webmd.com is not uncommon.

My question is this - does chlamydia ever go away?
Brand new research (published only a month ago) shows that women can carry chlamydia longer than previously suspected, at least 4 years.  On the other hand, it's also possible--probably more likely--that you are infected.  The symptoms you cite indeed are common, but at least 40-50% of infected men don't have any symptoms.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, Medical Research was started.
A related discussion, Chlamydia? was started.
A related discussion, Chlamydia positive and negative? was started.
A related discussion, Im concerned was started.
I am a male and I tested positive and she was negitive I have not had a sexual partner in one and half years but I think she was cheating how dose that happen. Could she be lying about the test results been bad and test done wrong and if so should she go and have it done again.
I tested positive for Chlamydia my partner tested negitive. Previously I was abstinant for 5 years then I met him. But before the 5 years I was pregnant so all results were fine baby was fine. So what im saying is I know it came from my partner. But why dont doctors tell us men can clear up on there own.Instead of the leaving doubt in the male mind thinking we females are cheaters..
I am also goin through the same thing I get tested every yr and last yr I was negative but this yr positive. I called my boyfriend accusing him of cheating and he got tested he never got the call sayin he had it so it now looks like I am the cheater which I know I have been totally faithful to him. Since I'm ttc, I couldn't understand how this could happen till I started reading some of the blogs. I also was unaware that it could clear up in men by itself.
I'm curious to know is it really true that chlamydia in men can clear up on its own because my doctor says that's not true! I got tested recently and was positive for chlamydia my partner went and was negative and we had unprotected sex plenty of times! Is it possible for me to have it and not pass it to my partner?
A related discussion, I was tested positive for chlamydia but my partner was negative  was started.