STDs Expert Forum
Chlamydia(?) and/or related infections?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Chlamydia(?) and/or related infections?

Background: 32-yr old male.  Received oral sex from a 'massage therapist' while on vacation in Caribbean.  Within the week began to experience symptoms including discomfort at tip of penis, not burning or discomfort but also not 'normal' feeling during urination,and a clear-liquid discharge.  My thoughts from reading around that this was probably Chlamydia.  Within the next several days I went to a clinic and was tested for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia, concurrently being prescribed (and taking) Azithromycin and Cefixime.

Ok so the symptoms began to die down, eventually going away within another week.  I had had sex with my girlfriend upon return from the Caribbean (once) but prior to treatment or obvious symptoms, and had sex with her again after treatment had concluded.  Within a day of doing so, symptoms had returned, though in a much more subdued manner.  (I'll note now also that after I called for the STD test results, results were negative)

At present, there is occasional clear seepage, usually after sex, but most notably there is a strong odor in urine.  This is now three months after initial exposure/incident.

My questions are essentially, am I right to suspect it may have been a false negative on the Chlamydia result?  If I have infected my girlfriend, would a 1-day turn be long enough to be re-infected myself?  Could this be a bacterial infection with similar symptoms to Chlamydia but not an STD per se itself?  Or, could the infection have spread elsewhere?  

I had a prostatitis infection in my early 20's once (which essentially means nobody knew what was up), and for the last 2-3 years have suffered from a condition best explained via this link:
http://www.************.com/Semen_With_Gel_Like_Substance_t56600.html

...so I am wondering whether I might be experiencing a UTI or bladder or prostatitus infection (since I seem prone to complications in that region) following the Chlamydia (if I had it),or if it might still Chlamydia if that's what is in play.
Welcome to the Forum.  Your problem is a complex one.  I'll try to help you sort things out but without further testing of you and your GF we cannot be 100% sure what is going on here.

It would be unusual for you to get chlamydial infection from receipt of oral sex.  On the other hand, NGU (not caused by chlamydia) is rather common and would be expected to respond to the therapy you had.  Your description is quite compatible with this scenario.  Alternatively but less likely, you might have had chlamydia before your vacation and it just became symptomatic following your exposure--I doubt that this happened.  

It would be almost unheard of for you to develop symptoms from catching chlamydial infection a day after re-exposure to your GF.  I suspect the onset if your symptoms is coincidental.  

I doubt that you have a UTI.  they are most uncommon among men under age 40.  On the other hand you may have had a recurrence of your prostatitis.  My advice is to see your urologist and get checked.  the chance of this being chlamydial infection however is low.  

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
Thank you for the insights.  Definitely I would not think that it would be Chlamydia (or anything) else pre-vacation, because though I can imagine what my relationship might look like from this snapshot, me and her have been monogamous for nearly eight years prior.  That being said during the span of the vacation itself, and then the week following, I was doing a *lot* of flying/traveling, and I wonder how things like posture, being seated, etc etc might play into any aggravation/infection/inflammation.  That was an uncomfortable couple of days back then for sure.

I hadn't considered an NGU scenario before, and it would seem to make sense.  My main present concerns re: symptoms stem from the odor in my urine, and recently what seems to be an added immediacy to my need to urinate when that need does in fact come on.  It seems like not many things lead to odorous urine so I feel a bit adrift in that sense.  And then of course if Chlamydia is in play, I would want to make sure my girlfriend is treated as I know it can be a serious thing for women down the line.  Would an NGU or related follow-up infection potentially lead to the urine odor?  
You are right, there really are not many things that cause malodorous urine.  STDs are not among those that do.  I still favor the prosatitis possiblity or a syndrome called the chronic pelvic pain syndrome (check it out on Wikipedia).  EWH