STDs Expert Forum
Concerned about being infectious

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Concerned about being infectious

Hello Doctor,

I did ask you guys two questions before and I respected the 6 month mark for two questions. But I do have another thing which has been bothering me.  Okay so as you can see from my previous posts I was quite concerned about stds for the past 8-9 months.  

I tested at 8.5 weeks for chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV which were negative.  From your suggestion, I have stopped worrying about these as the tests are conclusive.  I was concerned for hep B but I was vaccinated about 7 years ago.  So I am guessing the only thing remaining is syphillis (syphilis) or Hsv.  I haven't had traditional sores and you recommend against testing but I still have a few questions.  

I do have a slight groin pain and stuck feeling in the penis after I urinate, which goes away and comes back after I urinate again.  Another thing is that I have phlegm developing more often now in my throat.  

I am really paranoid that I am infecting my family members if I share a drink with them.  I feel like I made my brother sick after he shared a drink with me.  My concern is can I be infectious ? Is there anything that lasts this long or is it mainly mental? I did go to the doctor again in October, he mentioned that most of my symtoms (symptoms) were psychological.  All my other symptoms have really gone away its just that I have the phlegm and urine problem? Can you please advise what this could be ?
Welcome back to the forum.  Thank you for respecting the 6 month rule.

However, I'm afraid I can't help very much.  First, there is nothing in the information provided here -- or, in a quick glance back at your other threads, ion those disucssions either -- that suggests you have any STD.  Second, if you had an STD, you could not transmit it by sharing drinks or other nonsexual contact.  They call them sexually transmitted for a reason:  they aren't transmitted except by sex!

You correctly cite (once again) the obvious explanation:  this indeed is all emotional or psychological.  As I advised in closing your question last August, "If you continue to obsess about it [herpes or other STDs], professional counseling would obviously be in order."

Regards--  HHH, MD
He did take a dipstick urine test but he said he didn't see any infection but if I wanted he could have done a urinanalysis or blood test which i didn't do at that time.
I saw this; it makes no difference in my opinion or advice.
Doctor,

Thanks for the advice! You guys provide a great service of calming down the nervous minds.  I wanted to ask if ngu could play a role in this? Can it last this long or would it cure itself over time? The reason I ask is because of the stuck feeling in the penis after urination or masturbation? Minor groin pain as well!

NGU doesn't cause such symptoms.