STDs Expert Forum
Do u think i have chlamydia?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Do u think i have chlamydia?

Hi, I recently went on vacation to acalpulco where i had unprotected sex with a girl. It was only for a few minutes because i stopped after i realized i was being stupid in not using a condom. The next day i met a girl who is now my girlfriend and we also have had unprotected sex that week. Anyway a little less than a week later i noticed a clear somewhat sticky discharge after urination(did not have sex or masturbate that day or the day before). It looks exactly like pre ejaculatory fluid. This has been occuring off and on for the past 2 weeks and the fluid only comes out when i squeeze it. it does not come out every time that i urinate but more like 2-3 times a day and never between going to the bathroom.I have no pain or burning when urinating or ejaculating, nor do i experience any other symptoms of chlamydia. however sometimes i feel a little discomfort in my urethra after i squeeze the discharge out but the discomfort(almost like a tiny blockage) go away after a little while.I dont know if this is normal and im just being paranoid or not.
here are my questions

1. Does this sound like chlamydia or another std to you?
2. If i had chlamydia could it have been passed to my girlfriend immediately or would symptoms have to appear first?
3. could this discomfort in my urethra be from squeezing it ?
4. Would this discharge occur more often and be colored if it were chlamydia?
5.if its not chlamydia, do u think its something else like a uti or could it be nothing(just me being paranoid)?
Welcome to the forum.

Your symptoms are very typical for urethritis, i.e. an infection in your penis -- gonorrhea or nongonococcal urethritis (NGU).  NGU is more likely than gonorrhea, which usually causes more severe symptoms that start within 2-5 days.  Among men with NGU, chlamydia is the cause in about one third of cases.  To your specific questions:

1,4) As just noted, NGU is a good bet, whether caused by chlamydia or other bacteria.  The discharge in chlamydia and NGU usually is clear or white, not colored as for the pus usually seen with gonorrhea.

2) You could have caught your NGU/chlamydia from either partner; there is no way to know which one.  If you caught it from the first partner, then yes:  you could have transmitted the infection to your next partner a day later.

3,5) This is an STD, not the result of squeezing your penis and not "just being paranoid".

You and both your partners need to be professionally examined, tested for common STDs, and treated.  Do it as soon as possible.  Please return with a follow-up comment to let me know how things turn out for all three of you.

Regards--   HHH, MD

Hi i was diagnosed with an NGU and prescribed the Zithromax Zpak. Instruction say to take two does of 250mg the first day and 1 does the next 4 days. Could i just take 4 pills and one dose to clear it up faster?
Yes, that's what you should do.  (Your doctor apparently is not an STD expert.)   The recommended treatment for NGU and chlamydia is 1.0 g of azithromycin in a single dose, i.e. four 250 mg tablets all at once.  The Z-pak regimen you describe probably would work, but it has not been studied.  Your symptoms will clear up just as rapidly either way.  

I hope you were tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea.  Also, I assume your girlfriend is being examined, tested, and treated -- as well as your Acapulco partner, if you have been able to contact her.
Thank you for all your help and yes i notified both of them and they are being tested. I just have two questions about thetreatment if u don mind answering. I was wondering if i should take the two leftover pills just to make sure i got rid of the infection? and how long before my syptoms (symptoms) subside? thank you
Make sure your partners are treated as well.   Except for chlamydia, STD testing does not pick up the infections that cause NGU and they both need treatment even if all tests are negative.

There is no need for you to take the other tablets, but it wouldn't hurt.  Better to use them than to leave them in your medicine cabinet shelf.  Your symptoms probably will start to improve in 2-3 days but may take up to 10 days to clear up completely.

Were you tested for chlamydia and/or gonorrhea?  Or just treated for NGU without testing?
I was tested for both and they both came up negative. I took that medicine and it didnt seem to work. I am still experiencing minor discomfort in urethra from time to time and a clear discharge after urinating once or twice a day. I have no unusual sores or bumps...Any idea what it could be now? thanks
The gonorrhea and chlamydia tests are highly reliable and your symptoms would have cleared up if one of them were the cause, so you can dismiss them both.  It seems you have nonchlamydial NGU of a sort that doesn't repond well to standard antibiotics.  The standard approach (and recommendation by CDC) is that when NGU doesn't respond well to either azithromycin or doxycycline (the other standard treatment), that re-treatment should be tried with the alternate drug -- with the option of adding a drug against trichomonas, i.e. single dose treatment with either metronidazole or tinidazole.  You should be professionally re-examined, preferably when you have not urinated for several hours, so your discharge can be observed; and treated with doxycycline plus metronidaolze or tinidazole.  If you are back in the US, your local health department STD clinic would be a good option.  Your situation is very common; STD clinics deal with it on a daily basis.

Good luck.  Let me know how it shakes out after you have been examined.