STDs Expert Forum
HPV

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HPV
About 2 months ago i had protected sex with a female that i learned last week she had HPV.  (i'm not sure which type)  I have had NO symptoms until last week (the week I found out).  I have had minor irritation underneath / behind my scrotum along with almost a slight warmth / burn feeling on the top part of my scrotum.  At times i am not able to distinguish if my testicles are throbbing slightly or if its actually my skin tingling. It seems to be more noticeable when I'm sitting or laying down. Yesterday, my lower back started to become sore almost as if i had been laying on my back / sitting down for too long or too much.   I've become worried sick about this and really would like to hopefully get some type of answer to calm me down.  (I plan to get it checked out later this week also)  

1.)  Does this sound like any type of HPV or could it just be possibly my mind playing "tricks" on me.
2.)  Knowing the condom did not break and her fluids did not get "inside" of me, does that eliminate most types of serious STD's?
3.)  I know for the past 2 months i have not had any irregular bumps on my scrotum or penis, do warts usually appear with in the first few weeks?
4.)  Does this sound like anything abnormal?  
You need to do some reading about HPV.  You are overly concerned.  Some basic facts:  Everybody gets it and you probably have already been infected and will be again; about 70-80% of people get HPV within their first 3 lifetime sex partners.  Most infections remain asymptomatic and go away on their own. Over 90% of people with HPV don't know it; so the fact that one partner is aware doesn't mean you weren't exposed to others.  Look at genital HPV as a normal part of human sexuality:  it is inevitable and unavoidable.  It is not something to sit around worrying about.

To your questions:

1 and 4) HPV does not cause any of the symptoms you describe.  Those symptoms really don't sound like anything, but as you suggest yourself, if they persist or concern you, see a health care provider.  But whenever a person suggests his or her own symptoms might have an emotional or psychological origin, usually that in fact is the explanation.

2) Intact condoms offer excellent protection against all STDs.

3) Warts usually show up 1-2 months after exposure, but it can be any time from 2-3 weeks to as long as 3-4 months, maybe even longer.  Genital warts are less common on the scrotum than the penis.

Bottom line:  Mellow out.  HPV isn't worth the anxiety you express.  Please read up on HPV before coming back wtih follow-up questions.  Some excellent sources are my former health department, where I wrote much of the information myself (www.metrokc.gov/health/apu/std), CDC (www.cdc.gov/std), and the American Social Health Association (www.ashastd.org).

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Also - Can you transmits HPV if you receive oral sex?
HPV can be transmitted to the mouth by oral sex, but almost never causes symptoms.  Genital HPV is not know to be caught by receiving oral sex.
Thanks Doc,

I have done a lot of research but it still bothers me, i guess just hearing it from someone that is an expert really helps calm myself down.  Thanks again for the info / insight  and i will continue to learn more.
A related discussion, HPV info was started.