STDs Expert Forum
Hepatitis B transmission

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hepatitis B transmission

I am wondering if Hepatitis B can be transmitted through french kissing? I have read conflicting reports regarding this issue. Can it can be transmitted through open sores in the mouth? Many thanks.
Welcome back to the Forum.  I will be pleased to provide information related to your question.  Before I do, I should remind you that we ask clients to ask no more than two questions in any 6 month period in order to provide others with access to the limited amount of time that we have to address questions. Thus, since your initial questions were in May, I would request that once we finish this exchange, not to post gain until November of 2013.

There is no evidence that Hepatitis B, (like HIV and hepatitis C) is transmitted by kissing or contact with oral sores during kissing.  I am not sure where you are getting the information that this may happen but there are no scientific studies or reports that hepatitis B or C is spread through any sort of oral contact.  The possibility is not even mentioned in discussions of hepatitis in medical textbooks.  There is no reason to worry that you could get hepatitis through kissing, French or otherwise, or contact with oral sores.  

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
Thank you doctor its just that I read on other websites that Hepatitis B can be transmitted if both partners have dental problems, or if there is blood involved with open sores.
These are theoretical concerns in the same sense that it is possible that you will be hit by a meteortie while reading this.  If that does not happen, then you should not worry about hepatitis either.  Really, there is no reason for concern.  EWH
Ok thanks doctor for putting my mind at rest
I'm pleased I could help.  EWH