STDs Expert Forum
Herpes questions .. Freek out

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpes questions .. Freek out

Tonight I went on a date with a girl and it went quiet well. We start making out and eventually i started to touch her genitals. She began to touch me back as well. I saw her touch herself then myself.. This went on for about 2 minutes... I asked if i need to know anything... and she responded shes on meds. when i asked what for she said genital herpes. It ended there, and we chatted a bit before she left. She told me she was on anti viral meds, the past 3 years and has never had a second out break (not sure if i believe) she also said none of her partners have tested positive since the one who gave it to her.

1)Here are my two questions. First is there any chance i caught anything from her touching me? she did not have any sores or showed any symptoms. it was just making out, fingering and a hand job.

2)The other question is i have a small paper cut on my finger that is still open but not bled in the past 2 days... am i at any risk there? i was only touching her a few seconds on the inside and i mainly rubbed her clitorus

3) If she only has genital herpes any worry from making out? she says she has simplex 2 only.

As soon as she told me i washed my hands and poured hydrogen peroxide on my cut... After she left i hoped in the shower, gurgled more peroxide and poured it on my genitals as well... Not sure if this does anything but i was pretty frantic. also i have been on augminton the past few days (penacilin based) for a sinus infection. Not sure if those would help my immune system

Please respond. Can not talk to my doctor until monday and its late friday night.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

My first reaction here is one of sympathy and concern for your partner.  Your reaction probably is exactly what she fears most in forging sexual relationships and, ultimately, a committed life partership.  Despite her fear, she did the responsible thing in telling you of her infection before intercourse occurred.  I hope that in stopping the activities, you didn't panic, you thanked her for being honest and behaved with kindness and respect.

HSV is inefficiently transmitted.  Even if you had gone on to unprotected sex, and even if she hadn't been on treatment for her HSV infection, the chance you would have caught it would have been low, perhaps on the order of 1 in 1,000.  (Among couples in which one partner has HSV-2, even after many years of unprotected sex, fewer than half the partners become infected.)  And her anti-HSV treatment lowered that risk to less than half what it would have been without treartment.  Fingering and hand-genital contact carry no measurable risk for HSV transmission; almost always insertive intercourse is required.  To your specific questions:

1)  As suggested by those comments, there was little or no risk you could have been infected by the contact that occurred.

2) In theory, a cut on the finger might increase the risk you could have acquired HSV in that location.  However, it remains an exceedingly low risk, not to be worried about.

3) I don't understand what you're asking -- or maybe you don't understand what you're asking either.  What do you mean by "she has simplex 2 only"?  If she is infected with HSV=2 (herpes simplex virus type 2), then she has genital herpes caused by that virus and potentially could transmit it to partners, as described above.

The showering, hydrogen peroxide, and your antibiotic treatment made no significant difference.  They didn't lower or raise the risk of you becoming infected.

Bottom lines:  First, don't worry about having caught HSV-2 from this event.  Second, depending on your reaction at the time and how she felt about it, you might owe your partner a nice dinner and flowers -- or at least a sensitive follow-up conversation.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for the response....

To answer your question, things were left on a positive note, not sure if we will see each other again as this was only our 1st date. She understood my reaction, and it was handled the best i could.

Anyways going back to question 2. If it were transmitted to my finger, where the cut was what are the symptoms?
I'm glad to hear the positive slant on your reaction.  Good show.

If you acquired herpes by exposure of the cut, you would get one or more blisters then open sores exactly at that site, and perhaps elsewhere near it on your finger.
Last 2 question2.

1 Should I visit my doctor to have the cut examined or have any testing done?

2nd How many days would it take for the blisters or sores to show up?

I apologize for so many questions but This was my first experience with anyone who had an STD. Luckily it seems like she has it under control. I was a little upset and frustrated she did not tell me prior to any touching. Last night was a very sleepless night for the most part, and I can imagine it only gets worst if it went any further then it did.
If you don't have blister-pimple formation within a week you're home free.  You don't need to be professionally examined or tested.  And it wouldn't matter if you had such an infection; it would have no impact on your life sexually or otherwise.  (Maybe just the opposite.  It would immunize you so you would never be susceptible to grnital HSV-2.)

And by the way. I doubt this realty was your first exposure to an STD.  HSV, HPV, and chlamydia are very common and usually undisgnosed; if your sexual lifestyle is average, you can assume you have been exposed-- indeed you probably have been infected with HPV.  Most humans have.

My final advice is to mellow out and stop worrying about this.
I am sorry to ask this again but honestly, monday can not come soon enough... I have not seen any pimples yet near the cut, but i noticed on my middle nuckle of my middle finger 2 small red dots... Not sure if these are existing or not, they do not appear to be raised at this time, but is this the begining stages of the blister or pimples? or will they start off raised and clear?
Stop it.  This is irrational.  Stop examining yourself.  The chance you caught herpes is in the same ballpark (or even lower) than the chance you'll be struck by lightning someday.  Except for your anxiety and the need for reassurance, I would recommend you not even see your doctor Monday (or any other time).

This thread is over.