STDs Expert Forum
Herpeselect testing questions/results

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Herpeselect testing questions/results

hi, i had slept with a sex worker( protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral, also given cunninlingus).

i had tested everything (gon,syphi,chla) negative at 4 weeks.
at 3rd week, small white bumps appeared on the sides of my scrotum and on the sides on the area of shaft connecting with the scrotum(not whole shaft, a littlebit near the base). it had no visible sores but it is red and itchy when i walk too much. the bumps are still here( 10 weeks after exposure). when i put antibacterial and anti ezcema (eczema) cream, the redness goes away after a night. this has been happening for 4-5 weeks already.

i had tested for herpes by herpeselect iGg 1/2 from a website called www.stdweb.com
the test is performed by labcorp

results at 5 weeks
  HerpeSelect
The symptoms you describe do not suggest herpes at all and your test results are negative.  Although 9-10 weeks is a bit early from the exposure you describe, based on both your symptoms and the test results you can be virtually 100% certain you do not have HSV-2.

1,2,3) Both tests are the same.  9 weeks is enough time, especially when symptoms are atypical like yours.  Had you come to my clinic, I would not have recommended herpes testing based on the exposure you describe and your symptoms. 4) The test timing is based on time of exposure/infection, not symptoms.  5) No.  6) Condom-protected sex and oral sex always are low risk. 7) Zero or close to it.

Bottom line:  Don't worry about herpes.  You shouldn't even have been tested; the odds ar that low. And your symptoms don't sound like herpes at all.  

Good luck-- HHH, MD
i forgot to mention that doctors said that the bumps are normal and it issomething called sebaceous cyst
You are ok relax,see a Dr about your anxiety
thank you doctor and htsu1.

i feel more relieved right now. =]
i did a hsv test and the results were sent to me and this is it. HSV 1 igg herpeselect a b > 5.00 h 0.00-0.89 index tbr  and HSV 2 igg herpeselect a b > 3. 20  h 0.00-0.89 index tbr. could u explain what this is for me please and they both say's (positive)i have no idea whats going on ......
You are infected with both HSV-1 and HSV-2, that is you have both oral and genital herpes.  But this is a thread jump, and I will have no further response here.  Search the forums and read the herpes article in the link "STD Quick Facts and Articles" on the STD Forum home page.  If you still have questions, start a new thread.

HHH, MD