STDs Expert Forum
How long is the duration of gonorrhea after antibiotics are taken? Sca...

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

How long is the duration of gonorrhea after antibiotics are taken? Scared here.

Hello.

I contracted what was diagnosed as non-specific urethritis 5 days ago after receiving oral sex.  The doctor said my discharge probably indicated gonorrhea, and prescribed both doxycycline (100 mg twice a day) and Cipro (500 mg twice a day).

I've been taking these drugs for five days now, and am still experiencing burning during urination (the thick discharge went away immediately after starting the drugs but the pain has remained pretty constant).  I am now experiencing almost a constant throbbing pain in the head of my penis (feels like a sore is right inside the bottom of the tip), and now my testicles feel a little swollen.  I also feel like I'm sweating in my groin area a little more than normal.

I am scared to death that I've contracted some antibiotic resistant form of gonorrhea, and cannot think straight.  I have a fear that it won't go away anytime soon and I'm totally worried out of my wits.

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.  I'm planning to go to a urologist tomorrow -- is there anything that he can do?
If you had gonorrhea instead of NGU, the treatment you received almost certainly would have cured it.  The symptoms you describe do not sound like any STD; they are typical for anxiety-related genital symtpoms.   But if you need more reassurance, return to the same doctor and ask his advice.  Perhaps he will test you again for gonorrhea, but you can be confident that the result will be negative.  I see no reason for you to visit a urologist; urologists are not well trained nor especially expert in diagnosing and treating STDs.  Not to be critical of an entire speciality; yours may be excellent.  But it's overkill to go to a specialist for a problem that almost certainly does not reflect an important health threat.  (To answer your specific question:  No, I doubt there is anything a urologist can do, except re-test your for gonorrhea--and you don't need a urologist for that.)  The smartest thing to to is nothing; just wait a couple of weeks (yes, at least 2 weeks), and return to your own primary care doctor if symptoms are persisting at that time.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Also, forgot to say I'm allergic to penicillin.  Thanks.
Thanks so much for your advice.  I guess I just thought the pain in the tip of my penis would disappear immediately after taking antibiotics, and with so much information about antibiotic resistant gonorrhea it's pretty scary.

I did go to the urologist, and he just ran a urinalysis (which the first doctor didn't do) and he said it looked good and would send it in for cultures just in case something was still lingering.  He also changed my antibiotic and said to set another appointment if the symptoms are still there in 7 days.
A related discussion, Been taking Cipro, no results, NEED ADVICE. was started.