STDs Expert Forum
I don't know what this rash is?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I don't know what this rash is?

So I know there are a lot of questions about rashes and stds. So, I'm gonna try to be brief about everything. I'm sexually active, but always use protection for vaginal sex (never for oral). I was recently tested and waited the sixth month window for the herpes IGG and IGM test to make sure I received the most accurate results (and I came back negative). Since then I have hooked up with four different women, but only had sex with one out of the four (received oral from the others).

The question here now is I keep getting a  reoccurring rash on the upper right corner of my pubic area (literally right at the edge of where the pubic hair tends to grow). Its very small, grows in a circular shape (smaller than a dime)  and rarely causes any type of pain (Sometimes there is a little bit of a  discomfort in the area). Normally I don't notice it until I see it while I am taking a shower. It gets red and can usually see that any type of bump originates from a hair follicle (a lot of the time there arnt even any bumps). Sometimes it spreads towards the inner thigh, but that has not happened in a long while. It doesn't itch, and it never turns into a blister nor does it scab ever. However, the skin in the area tends to peel kinda like a sunburn at the tale end of the "infection".

I also sometimes get itchy bumps on my butt in random places (but I mean I don't know if they are correlated)

Do you have any insight?

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

You needn't be at all worried about STDs.  There simply are no STDs that cause a recurrent rash of the sort you have described.  I'm sure herpes is on your mind because a) it's in the genital area and b) it is recurrent.  But herpes is impossible, both on the nature of the rash as you describe it, and because of your negative blood test results.

There are many, many dermatologic conditions -- perhaps a hundred or more (but I'm not a dermatologist, so that's just a wild guess) -- that could cause this sort of thing. Happily, most are not at all serious.

All these comments also apply to the itchy buttock lesions.  My guess is that the two conditions are unrelated.

My advice is to see your doctor; or if s/he suggests (e.g. if not up to speed on common skin rashes), perhaps a dermatologist.  In the meantime, no worries about STD.

My final comment concerns your periodic testing for HSV and desire for "the most accurate results".  If that indeed is your goal, you won't have any more IgM antibody tests.  The HSV IgM tests are very unreliable; you are risking a false positive result that will be alarming while you wait for confirmatory tests that show you don't have a new herpes infection after all.  For more information, see the thread linked below:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/hsv-2--recent-vs-not-recent-infection/show/541451

I hope this has been helpful.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
I figured it was not much of anything and you were right about my concern. The fact that it is reoccuring is what makes me concerned, but does not resemble anything I have ever heard of. I thought I may have contracted it from the other four women I hooked up with, but that does not seem likely. Thank you for all your help!
You're welcome. Glad to have helped.
So, the rash that I told you about start out really small, well now it has grown and itches alot. there are bumps now (or there have been for a bit now) but no blisters or anything. I have been putting lotramine ultra for the past day. Have any other suggestions?
See paragraph 4 of my initial reply.  And stop using any treatment on it before you have been professionally examined.

Whatever you have, no STD behaves this way.
Yea well I went to my doctor to get a physical and showed him. He said to puton that cream that's why I asked. But thanks again see ya
Sorry, you didn't make that clear. Once someone is under a doctor's care for a specific problem, s/he is almost always the most appropriate source for ongoing questions about it.  Your doctor knows (or suspects) the cause of your rash and obviously is in a much better position than a distant online forum to advise about next steps if the initial treatment isn't working.