STDs Expert Forum
Is the SYPHILIS? or something

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Is the SYPHILIS? or something

I have been masturbating rigorously lately--or over that past last month. About in 2006 I noticed that there was a hard vein like thing under my foreskin. It was maybe about an inch---I thought it was hardening skin from friction. Could this be an STD? I read some old articles linking this to STDS, but I have received some minimal oral sex--that was brief. No primary syphilis lesion nor have I had any other symptoms. When I drink--I tend to stay home and over masturbate---sometimes pulling my penis even when flacid to try and get it hard if I am too drunk. sclerosing lymphangitis is what I found on the internet. I am in a relationship--could this be something I infect my partner with? Am I over thinking this? what are the realities of syphilis presenting it self under the skin and not as a primary lesion? (I dont care about the statistics) what is the reality of it presenting itself this way--again in 2006 this happened, but this time its a bit harder--longer..same exact area. It is like a hard vein only noticeable when erect---not painful just annoying to know somethings abnormal. Sometimes I have masturbated ten times in a day or more and pulled in different directions and used lube and sometimes no lube. Could this be from the brief oral?
Welcome to the forum.

Syphilis and other STDs do not cause the sort of thing you describe.  Your internet search may have come up with the right answer:  penile sclerosing lymphangitis.  Here is a description from the new (third) edition of my book, Color Atlas and Synopsis of STD (McGraw-Hill), which will be available on bookshelves or from Amazon.com in a few weeks:

"Sclerosing lymphangitis of the penis sometimes follows vigorous sexual activity and presents as a firm, mobile, painless, elongated, subcutaneous mass typically in the coronal sulcus. Some cases may be slightly painful. No specific treatment is required; the mass typically resolves spontaneously over several weeks." (The coronal sulcus is the groove between the head of the penis and the shaft.)

Of course I cannot make a definite diagnosis and don't know for sure this is what you have.  The problem with that diagnosis is that, as noted above, it would not last for 5 years.  However, it is possible you have a scarred vein or lymph channel that has remained prominent.  These are only educated guesses; you should see a doctor or clinic to know for certain what's going on; a dermatologist or urologist would be ideal.

Since you have been sexually active some of the time, and apparently not monogamous, it would be reasonable for you to be tested for STDs, including a syphilis blood test.  Most likely the results will be negative, but better safe than sorry.  (And if positive, it won't mean that's the cause of the symptoms you describe.)

As suggested by "follows vigorious sexual activity", if you do have sclerosing lymphangitits, it may indeed have been caused by vigorous and perhaps excessive masturbation.  

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Syphilis for brief oral over a month ago? I should test for that? I have had no kind of sores at all--on my penis
All sexually active persons outside committed, mutually monogamous relationships should be tested for syphilis and other STDs from time to time, like once a year.  Also, experience shows that many people with penile sclerosing lymphangitis have other STDs.  So if you haven't been tested for syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and HIV in the past couple of years, this would be a good time to do it.  But you can be quite sure you didn't catch syphilis from the oral sex event a few weeks ago and that syphilis isn't the cause of your symptoms.
I have not seen any open sores and I actually felt this in 2006 as well it comes and goes. There are no visible sores. In 2006 I was tested. but Now I am freaking out.....I did not know this was an std symptom
It is always on the same side same area---
I was tested last about a year ago---every partner I have had has agreed to test and have been negative. I only had this ********...I tested every person I was with in an agreed casual relationship...
SO I CAN HAVE HIV THIS IS A SYMPTOM?
only other sex has been frottage mutual masturbation oral
wouldnt i have other symptoms? could sypylis show up this way
"I am freaking out.....I did not know this was an std symptom...."  I already told you it is NOT an STD symptom.  Re-read my previous replies and concentrate on them.

Given the new details about your sexual history and partner testing -- which I had no way of knowing before -- you can ignore my previous advice about being tested now.  There is no chance your symptoms are caused by any STD or HIV.

As I already said once, you should see a doctor to sort out what you do and don't have.  Feel free to return with a comment to report the result, but I will delete any other follow-up comments.