STDs Expert Forum
Is this blister herpes? Very Nervous.

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Is this blister herpes? Very Nervous.

I am a 41 year old female.  Three children, all born cesarean.

2 1/2 weeks ago I got a huge cold sore just below my nose.  I've gotton them ever since I was a child.  It's been years since I had one.  It was rather large, dime size.
Last week I started to feel a little dizzy.  Thought nothning of it as I wasn't eating the greatest.

Last week I felt like I was getting a cold.  My muscles and joints hurt.  I had a 99 fever...(i am typically 96 or 97 something).  I looked at the back of my throat.  My tonsils had white on them.  I went to the Dr and he gave me penicillan. I am on it now.  The bottle says penicillian.

The next day I noticed a burn while urinating.  I looked and to my astonishment I saw one blister.  1/4 of a dime size, on my inner labia minor, next to my vaginal  opening. It was clearly a blister.  Not clear fluid filled though, like a cold sore.  The inside looked more white.  Now it looks more like a popped blister.

I've been with my husband for 7 years.  We haven't had sex since the beginning of July.

Whether or not this is related, I get tiny blisters on my fingers sometimes.  I haven't had them in over a year.  At the same time, I got the blisters on my fingers and palm.  Usually they are considered a type of eczema.

Is it just a coincidence that my throat would get an infection and the next day I'd get a vaginal blister?  

I've never had one.  I've never had HSV2.  I will make an appt. to see my DR. on Monday.  Hopefully, I can get in to see him quickly.  Needless to say, I am horrified.

Could this be anything else?  Or (as I can already guess), did I possibly give myself vaginal herpes?  

Thank you in advance for your reply.  
I'm not sure what's going on here.  As grace already responded (below), it is unlikely you auto-inoculated yourself with your oral (facial) HSV-1 infection.  It also would be an unusual coincidence for you to have your first genital HSV-2 (or HSV-1) outbreak at this time. You might have a rare occurrence of an especially severe herpes recurrence, with systemic infection (as reflected by the fever, muscle/joint aches, etc).  Do you have a skin rash of any kind?  If so, your genital lesion conceivably could be a sign of Stevens Johnson syndrome, a form of the generalized skin condition called erythema multiforme--which often is triggered by an HSV infection.

In any case, I doubt you have genital herpes, and I doubt you inoculated your genital area with HSV-1.  Most important, there is a slight possibilty that you have a fairly serious illness; for example, erythema multiforme can be a serious, once in a while even very dangerous, illness.  I'm not comfortable with waiting until Monday.  If your own doctor doesn't seem to be on top of these possibilities, you should aks for referral to an internist, or perhaps infectious diseases specialist or dermatologist.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
You didn't transfer your oral hsv1 infection to your genital area.  Your previous oral infection gives you significant protection against this happening.

Going to see your doctor is the best idea. The sooner the better.  You want to get a pcr swab of the blister to check for herpes plus ask for a hsv2 blood test ( no reason to ask for a hsv1 test if you want to save a buck or two since you already know you have hsv1 orally ).  You also want to be checked for yeast and bacterial infections genitally too while you are there.

grace
Disregard my comment about not being comfortable waiting until Monday.  That's only a day away, no problem; if you don't feel very sick, you don't need to go running off to an emergency room.

HHH, MD
okay thank you.  

I looked up the condition and I don't have any blisters that are target bullseye type marks.  

The blister on my lip was almost completely gone, (except for slight pink scar) prior to this vaginal blister appearing.  

The blisters on my palm and fingers are recurrant.  A Dr. once told me they were dishydrosis?(spelling?)  

It's just that my throat infection happened at the same time.

Regardless, now I am a little more nervous than before.  
I greatly appreciate your availabilty on this service.  The weekends are just the worst for a patient.

I will call my obgyn in the morning. Hopefully, it's nothing serious.
the throat infection has probably affected your immune system somewhat. while it's busy fighting off your throat infection, your body is way more susceptible to any other ailments.

I just fought tonsilitis, and some other weird things showed up too........I'm fine now, so I figured it's just the body taking a beating while it's already down!

you sound like you live a very low risk sexual life, so I dont think you have much to worry about.
It is the season for the dyshidrotic eczema to flare up but considering all your other symptoms it's still a good idea to follow up on all this with your doctor if you haven't already.  The symptoms on your hands are not contagious if they really are due to the dermatitis so they don't explain the rest of your issues.

grace
I went to the OBGYN Monday.  She did a swab of the blisters.  
She said I had more than one.  She also ran a blood test for HSV2.  She said she didn't think it was what I had.  She gave me Valtrex 1000mg.  She told me to take 2 then 2 more 12 hours later and that's it.

This thing is now killing me.  It's so painful.  It burns like crazy. The Valtrex didn't dent the discomfort.  The nurse said if it was herpes the Valtrex would ease the pain.  It hasn't done anything.

My OBGYN is on vacation and comes back Monday.

How long should the blood test and culture take.  I did both Monday.

:(
I had the tests Monday.  It's Saturday.  I haven't heard anything.  Still waiting.
any word yet ?

I finally got my results yesterday!  

The culture and the HSV2 tests all came back NEGATIVE!!  

I was so happy!  

The sores are gone.  Even the nurse at the Dr.s office said they were blisters.  

So, at this point I don't know what caused them.  

I am greatly relieved to know it wasn't herpes.  It is also interesting to note for others searching that you can sometimes have blisters and it doesn't mean it's necessarily herpes.:)

Thanks for all your responses!!