STDs Expert Forum
Itching of the urethra

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Itching of the urethra

I'm a 37 year old male and monogamous, I have a really bad itching sensation in my urethra that is most pronounced at the base of my penis and radiates the length or my urethra to the tip of my penis.  It's really hard to keep from massaging it in order to alleviate the itching sensation.  No other symptoms.  Wife has no symptoms either, though she has had the occasoinal yeast infection in the past.

Also in researching the subject what are the chances of me having a yeast infection?  I did the saliva test (spitting in glass of water first thing in morning) and I was definitely positive, but all of the sites that list this test are also trying to pedal their natual cure as well so I just wonder how reliable this test is.  Maybe everyone tests positive in this test??

Thank You for your help!
Urethral itching can be a symptom of urethritis (NGU, chlamydia, etc). Uusally there is abnormal penile discharge, but not always.  Some monogamous people probably can get NGU from oral sex; normal oral bacteria from a partner's mouth probably cause some cases.  Or perhaps your partner has had other partners (?); of course I have no way of judging that possibility.  Yeast infections of the urethra are rare; that is an unlikely possibility  But all this is speculation.  See a health care provider if your symptoms persist.

The spit test for yeast infection is pure quackery, to be totally disregarded and never done again by anybody anywhere ever.

Good luck--- HHH, MD
Dr H

I've noticed recently that you are saying 50% or so of the US population has been exposed to HSV-1.  Is this because there is new evidence that the 80-90% data has been revised?
The estimates for US general population have never exceeded 50-60%.  It reaches 80-90% in some people in some parts of the population, by the time people reach age 60 or higher.

HHH, MD
Hi. In the last few days I've been experiencing a slight itching sensation in my urethra. I did a little research online, and I suspect that it's urethritis, as there has been some discharge. I'm wondering what's going on, as I haven't had any type of intercourse in about a month, and these symptoms have only been occurring for a couple of days. Thanks!
A related discussion, Itching was started.
I too have had itching in my urethra its sparatic and i also get this pain in the back of my left leg. I also get bad headaches and some days it feels like i.m dying. I ve gone to the er over 6 times and am told there is nothing wrong with me! Whats going on?
A related discussion, itch inside the penis was started.