STDs Expert Forum
Itchy vagina after sex.

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Itchy vagina after sex.

Dear Doctor,

I got married last week on Thursday 24 and after few days exactly on Monday morning my wife told me that she is having an itchy feeling inside her vagina that started Sunday night almost during the whole night and she was feeling a pain that started after the first time we had sex on Thursday night.

The symptoms didn't go, she is feeling the itchy feeling mainly every night and also she realized blood but she was not sure if it's blood due to an injury from rubbing herself at night or it's a brown dishcharge but there was no blisters or lesions or flu like symptoms.

Now after 4 days the pain is resolved and the itchy feeling got better,but we are both afraid that this might be an infection, she got an appointment with her doctor after 2 weeks cause there was no availability before that.
I would like to mention that both of us got tested for common STDs before marriage and our tests were negative.

The last time I got tested for HSV-1 and HSV-2 was in July 2008 using the IgG blood tests and both were negative, I am so afraid that i might have caught herpes after that and transfered it to my wife. I don't remember getting genital lesions or sores or clustered blisters but I am getting folliculitis frequently in areas that suggest herpes like thighs and buttock but not in my genital area.

we are both so worried about that,  I hope you can help me doctor with the following questions

1- Does this sound like herpes or any STD ?
2- Is there anything that we can do right now before she sees her doctor after 2 weeks for examination and testing if needed.
3- Do i need to test for herpes or any STD right now?

best regards,

Welcome to the Forum.  I am sorry to hear of your plight.  what you describe is almost certainly not an STD.  There are no STDs which have their onset in less than24 hours following sex so the rapidity with which this happened pretty much rules out this possibility.

If your wife has washed her genitals with anything or douched her symptoms may be some sort of allergic reaction.  Similarly, if you used a condom, this could e a latex allergy. The genitals are very sensitive to this sort of reaction.

If she still ahs symptoms, she needs to see a gynecologist sooner than ain two weeks.  It is unreasonable for her to have to wait that long.  I would call Monday and if her doctor cannot see her in a day or two, I would call another doctor.

In answer to your specific questions:

1.  No
2.  See above
3.  I have heard nothing that suggests to me that you need repeat testing for HSV.

I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH
Dear Doctor,

Many thanks for your response.  That helped me a lot.

I have one last question if you allow me, she got more than one symptom, the pain started in less than 24 hours but the itch started after 2-3 days, does this still role out the possibility of an STD?

I didn't use condoms but I think she was washing with cleansing solution that is given by the hotel, I hope this is cause.

Thank you again Doctor..
Best regards,

There really is nothing to suggest and STD here. On the other hand, if she was washing with hotel soap and it got into her vagina it could certainly do this.  EWH