STDs Expert Forum
Lingering question, hopefully last post

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Lingering question, hopefully last post

Hi Doctor,
I've had a long and storied relationship with my concerns over having an std, namely herpes, after I took a blood test a few years ago that came back with IGM positive and IGG 1 and 2 negative. I was told on this site that the IGM test can produce false positives and that I should rely on the IGG results. I've had numerous IGG tests over the course of a few years and all have come back negative. In the literature provided with that first IGM test it was stated that the IGG tests miss a certain percentage of the population but that the IGM test usually picks those folks up and since then I have always wondered if I fit into that category? I've never had any obvious herpes lesions but whenever something strange happens down there I immediately wonder if it isn't herpes. An aforementioned "strange thing" occurred a few days ago. After masturbating I wiped off the head of my penis with some toilet paper (with a decent amount of pressure) and I immediately noticed a sharp pain. Since then I have been experiencing pain/discomfort whenever the top of the right-hand side of the head of my penis comes into contact with my clothing. There appears to be a small cluster of slightly raised whitish/pinkish spots/small bumps on that side of the top of the head (somewhat near the opening) of my penis where the discomfort is occurring. The discomfort has been occurring for 3 days now and the "spots/bumps" haven't changed appearance since I noticed them 24-48 hours ago. I'd appreciate any opinion you might have about this current situation as well as the amount of faith that I can put into the IGG tests I have taken. The most recent test was taken a year after any sexual intercourse. Thanks for your input.
Welcome back to the forum. But I'm sorry to learn your anxieties about herpes are continuing.

The symptoms you describe are not at all suggestive of genital herpes. Combining that fact with your sexual history and the repeatedly negative blood tests, you can should go forward with 100% confidence do not have it.  As discussed previously, your past positive IgM antibody test result is meaningless and should be ignored.

If your penile symptoms continue, it would make sense to get professionally examined, perhaps by a dermatologist.  But you should do your best to ignore herpes. For sure you don't have it.

Since you have been a fairly frequent forum user and posted another question less than 3 months ago, please be aware that MedHelp permits a maximum of 2 questions every six months on each of the professionally moderated forums.  Just a warning so you don't risk losing a future posting fee on a question that would be deleted without reply.

Regards-- HHH, MD
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the quick response. You have definitely helped me out with the advice you have provided in this post and others. I very much appreciate it.