STDs Expert Forum
Meatus Inflamation(inflammation)

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Meatus Inflamation(inflammation)

I have an inflammation of the meatus. The redness starts at the bottom of my urethra. Both sides of the urethral opening, are a little puffy at the bottom. This continues down to the meatus. The puffiness is very well defined, and the skin is raised slightly. There are almost little overlapping areas in a V shape. There is no pain,bleeding,problem urinating etc. It even looks like the urethral opening has elongated a bit. Maybe due to the puffiness. It seems I'm retaining a few more drops of urine than usual when I am done so I have to be careful.
   History: A few months ago, I noticed a pink spot on the underside of my penis in the area between the head and shaft. I let it go for awhile, but it became worse. There was a slight stinging after protected sex or masturbation. There was no sign of the condition mentioned above. I went to my doctor and he prescribed a cortizone/lotrimine type cream. This helped, but didn't get rid of it completely. Eventually this redness went away, but this new condition I described above began. My doctor referred me to an urologist, but said he thought it was only irritation.
   A couple of days before my appointment, I noticed what were definitely warts on the shaft of my penis. During this time period, I had one instance of unprotected sex (duh) and so there is a possibility that the two issues are unrelated. A second appointment was made to have the warts burned off. I only had a few and they have not come back. Both my regular doctor and my urologist assured me that the condition I described above is nothing but irritation. The urologist gave me some ketoconozoIe which has done nothing after 2 weeks. I have not had any sex and very little masturbation during this whole period in order to avoid making this worse. I'm being healthier in general. I have also tried epsom salt and vinegar soaks nightly. I have tried to give all of these treatments their own time to work separately from each other. Thank you so much!
Tags: irritable
You have seen at least a couple different health care providers who have reassured you. No distant, online source like me -- no matter how expert -- can give more accurate advice than a personal provider.  All I can say is that no STD is possibly responsible for the sort of problem you describe.  (If you were a patient in our STD clinic, we would refer you to a dermatologist or urologist--  but you have already done that).

It seems you can be confident that whatever the explanation is, you have no STD; and undoubtedly you have nothing that will ever significantly threaten your health or that of a sex partner.

If you remain concerned, continue with your personal health care providers.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards--  HHH, MD
I appreciate the feedback.

I tried to look around the Internet and find an example of a picture or description of a meatal wart, and was unable to do so. I'm still curious what one looks like. If anyone knows of a resource, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
A wart is a wart is a wart. Find a picture of a wart and picture it in the meatus.  There's nothing special about it.  You describe nothing that suggests a wart.