STDs Community
Molluscum or what?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

Molluscum or what?

After shaving my pubic hair, I found some small red bumps that had been hidden. My initial assumption was that they were irritated hair follicles or ingrown hairs, but now I'm concerned that they may be molluscum. They feel a bit fleshier than most ingrown hairs that I've seen, it's been several months since I last shaved the area, and they don't appear to be centered on a hair follicle. However, they appear to be much smaller than any molluscum pics than I've seen(although who knows how long these have been there), and I can't see any depression in the center, although some seem to be a little bumpy. They're kind of pinkish, but redden if I get sweaty or take a hot shower. It's been about a week since I discovered this, and haven't noticed any change. Does this sound like molluscum, ingrown hairs, or perhaps some unknown third thing?
Avatar n tn
Also, if it is molluscum, and I use the same razor to shave my face, what are the chances of it spreading there?
You should never, ever use the same razor on your face that you use on other body parts. If you have, toss that razor or change the blade if it's not a disposable!

This doesn't really sound like molluscum.  It's a holiday weekend so probably at this point just wash the area well in the shower each day with an antibacterial soap and see how that goes. If you still have the rash monday, go and be seen.  Lots of rashes out there with the heat this time of the year and shaving also can really irritate the skin.

grace
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your help. I actually just noticed a hair growing out of the side of one of the larger bumps. I don't know if this clarifies anything.
it's probably folliculitis or something similar going on but if it's not looking better, follow up on it. don't shave until it's all healed though!

grace
Avatar n tn
Hey so it sounds like molluscum. You wanna keep you pubes trimmmed short but not with a razor use scissors so you dont spread the bumps.