STDs Expert Forum
Penile thrush that won't go away
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Penile thrush that won't go away

Hi Doctor,

I have been in a monogamous relationship for more than a decade. I only have vaginal sex with my wife and yet a rash which has been diagnosed as thrush by my doctor appeared about seven weeks ago. Despite two different creams, wearing cotton, taking salt baths and not using shower or bath gels, it just stays the same.

Could this be a misdiagnosis? I am at a loss and my doctor is not very helpful at present and I don't wish to keep bothering him. He says that it is not consistent with any sexual disease symptoms and bearing in mind my sexual history . . .

Any help appreciated.

Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Yeast infection (thrush) isn't very common on the penis, and is especially rare unless a sex partner has a vaginal yeast infection.  Other fungal infections are possible.  But if you had any kind of yeast/fungus, the standard treatments usually are highly effective.  So if you were given proper treatment (which I cannot judge, since you don't say what creams were prescribed), most likely the problem is something else.  I cannot begin to guess at other possibilities; any of the many things that cause skin rash anywhere on the body sometimes involve the penis.  In any case, you can be sure it is no STD--and that's where my expertise and advice ends.  Seeing a dermatologist would make sense as the next step.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
2 Comments
Blank
You don't have an std.  Keep in mind this an std forum.  Only a limited number of questions are taken a day.  Thrush isn't an std either, but I hope it clears.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank