STDs Expert Forum
Penile thrush that won't go away

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Penile thrush that won't go away
Hi Doctor,

I have been in a monogamous relationship for more than a decade. I only have vaginal sex with my wife and yet a rash which has been diagnosed as thrush by my doctor appeared about seven weeks ago. Despite two different creams, wearing cotton, taking salt baths and not using shower or bath gels, it just stays the same.

Could this be a misdiagnosis? I am at a loss and my doctor is not very helpful at present and I don't wish to keep bothering him. He says that it is not consistent with any sexual disease symptoms and bearing in mind my sexual history . . .

Any help appreciated.

Yeast infection (thrush) isn't very common on the penis, and is especially rare unless a sex partner has a vaginal yeast infection.  Other fungal infections are possible.  But if you had any kind of yeast/fungus, the standard treatments usually are highly effective.  So if you were given proper treatment (which I cannot judge, since you don't say what creams were prescribed), most likely the problem is something else.  I cannot begin to guess at other possibilities; any of the many things that cause skin rash anywhere on the body sometimes involve the penis.  In any case, you can be sure it is no STD--and that's where my expertise and advice ends.  Seeing a dermatologist would make sense as the next step.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
You don't have an std.  Keep in mind this an std forum.  Only a limited number of questions are taken a day.  Thrush isn't an std either, but I hope it clears.