STDs Expert Forum
Possible false positive HSV 2 test?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Possible false positive HSV 2 test?

I recently took a blood test at Labcorp for all STDS.  The Herpes one was a type specific blood test.  I am concerned about this as I have been with very few people and also have read some things on the internet that leads me to believe that just maybe it was a false positive and I should get the Western Blot test done.  I have read that having had mono or chicken pox could cause a false positive and I have had both.  My results were as follows

HSV 1 IgG, Type Specific   6.34

HSV 2 IgG, Type Specific   2.64.

At the top of the results form it says RPR Non reactive.  I don't know if that is pertaining to the herpes results or not so I am including that information just in case.  Please respond at your earliest convenience.  This is driving me insane.  I don't understand how on earth I could be positive.  I am planning to go to the Army and this is going to ruin my future.
Welcome to the STD forum.  I'll try to help.

Thanks for making the effort to research this before asking the question.  You found accurate information; indeed there is a fair chance your HSV-2 result is falsely positive, and Western blot testing is a good way to sort it out.  This has been discussed many times and in great detail on this forum.  Below is the link to one thread that explains it; you can find others by using the search function and entering such terms as "herpes diagnosis", "HSV blood test", etc.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/593272

The main take-home message is that even though results of 1.1 and higher are technically positive, many results are false positive unless the result is over 3.5  This is a problem mostly in people with positive HSV-1 result, like yours.  With an HSV-2 value of 2.64, there's probably a 50:50 chance it is false.  The Western blot is the gold standard to sort this out.  However, there is a less expensive alternative.  If you can find a provider who does the BiokitUSA test (done in the clinic in 20 minutes), a negative result will mean your current one is false, and a positive would confirm you do indeed have HSV-2.  That said, when you combine the cost of a (new?) clinic visit plus the test, perhaps WB alone will be no more costly.  It's usually around $150.

If your result indeed is true, there is no justification for the notion that it would "ruin my future", and of course being in the Army won't make any difference.  The military doesn't routinely test people for HSV and even if they did, it would make no difference to them.  But cross this bridge if you come to it.  Feel free to return to report your follow-up WB or BiokitUSA test result.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
I am doing a Western blot this friday as it should be in by then.  I will post the results of that test just as soon as I have them.  I am hoping that my experience however it may come out will be helpful to others in a similar situation.  From the research I have done, it seems to me that anyone with a similar situation should invest in a second more accurate test to either confirm or refute the results of the initial test rather than stressing and condemning oneself for having HSV 2 when there is obviously a large possibility that your results are false.