STDs Community
Pubic hair bumps

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Pubic hair bumps

I've had maybe 4 or 5 pimple like bumps in my pubic hair over the course of around 6 years. I always dismissed them as ingrown hairs because I used to trim the hair around there. And for the most part they generally looked like ingrown hairs. But since coming out of a long term relationship and recently having had unprotected sex, I've been rethinking my sexual history thoroughly, and the can remember that one of them was more severe than the others. It started like a little red dot then turned into a pretty big white head, it popped and had a a crater-like looking edge and middle then went away. Since then I've had a few more bumps but not like that one, maybe one every 1.5-2 years. they look and feel like ingrown hairs where they're a bit under the skin, its always just one and they don't develop any puss in the head or pop, plus they always seem to be in the same general area (about a third of the way from the base of my penis to my belly button). I actually had one about 6 months ago and had it looked at the gp said it was def an ingrown hair. she mentioned it likely being folliculitis, at which time i had never heard of it before.

My initial reaction after doing too much online reading is that because it seems somewhat reoccuring that its herpes, but looking up images of folliculitis that looks spot on to what my most severe one looked like. Except that mine is just one. Its too easy to read other people's issues and retrofit them to your symptoms to I thought I'd get some objective thoughts.

I'll also add that I'm currently waiting for results from an std test, although thinking back to the appointment I'm not sure if the Dr. said she was going to test for hsv...she took blood and urine.

thanks for any insights.
I personally think it is good abstain until marriage wether or not you got a std.

Do I think you will transmit hsv? My answer is no, it sounds to me u do not have hsv.

When somebody gets initially infected with hsv their lymph nodes in the growing area above your legs between your hips and pubes is where im talking about usually swell up, it would cause pain. Do you recall feeling pain there, if you can't remember, than your lymph nodes probably never got swollen.

HSV is no where near the worst std. I would consider it minor.
But I really don't think you have hsv.

Don't think about hsv so much, you might never have those bumps again, but if they do and they hurt and bother you then i would say its ok to get tested so that you could get treatment on the meantime do not get tested for hsv.

When was the last time you had unprotected sex?
If they test you for hsv it would be a blood test or a culture swab, they would swab your sore if you had one. But they most likely did not test you for hsv.
They most likely test your urine for chlamidya, gonorea, and tested your blood for syphillis (syphilis) and hiv. All of theese std they tested you for are curable except for hiv wich is very treatable.
HSV and HPV are usually not tested for. HPV in most cases is naturally cleared especially in men. When it comes to HSV outbreaks are usually indicators and facilitate diagnosis. There is very very affordable treatment for hsv and it is definitely not the worst std to have it is one of the most common std. With treatment a couple could have a baby with no complications from hsv.
However it does not sound to me as if you have hsv according to your description.
Thanks for the reply. I suppose the best thing to do is wait for one of these bumps to appear and get myself in to have it looked at and swabbed for a culture test? Which I'm happy to do, but if that takes a year or more, how do I handle being sexually active until then? Obviously I'll use protection, but do I abstain all together if/when that happens? Not to mention the general anxiety of waiting that long.

But I really don't think you have hsv.

thanks again for the reply. i had unprotected sex last week with someone i know, while super drunk. and before that many times with my ex girlfriend of 6 years. the last time would have been maybe 6 months ago.

i dont remember my lymph nodes being swollen..and def no fever or sickness. kinda just appeared out of nowhere. i know i'm not suppose to post pictures here, but i did find an image online of folliculitis that looks exactly like what i had that one time, am i cool to post that or pm it to you?

i def know i'm prob causing myself more grief especially since i dont have any symptoms at the moment. but as i'm sure everyone understands it sort of all you can think about. thanks so much.
I don't see why you can't post a link here, i could be wrong, I'm not sure. But I don't mind a PM of the link. It's up to you.
PM'd you...I read the forum rules and they say no images so even though its not me, i figure better safe than sorry.

thanks so much again.
Ok so i looked at the image.
Do you ever get theese bumps on your shaft?
bottom line is you need to be sexually responsible and get proper std testing at the proper times. you had unprotected sex last week with a new partner so be sure to follow up on testing from that.

should you be getting a type specific herpes igg blood test too? YES!! 1 out of every 2-3 of us has hsv1 and 1 out of every 4-5 has hsv2 if you are under 50.  Herpes is incredibly common and over 90% of folks who have herpes, have no idea until tested. why worry about whether you have it or not if you can easily find out? of course since you just had sex, you need to wait at least 3 months to seek out the igg blood testing.  

I can not speak for the experience of the other post but it's incredibly naive to trust a stranger to look at pictures of symptoms.  Even the sites that allow you to pay to send them a picture of symptoms are wrong most of the time :(    Follow up with the right testing and be seen when you have symptoms by a trained medical provider.

grace

@Definatelyworried  - no never had these on my shaft. had one similar once, each time since has not been not similar to that. all in the pubic hair region about 1-2" above the penis.

@gracefromHHP - agreed, i will def be following up but thought i might pose a question to the regulars on the forum as to their opinion. i'll now insist to my health care provider that she test for a HSV type specific test. since most people are describing their symptoms, i thought it might be easiest to provide visual descriptive image of whats most similar to what i've experienced. by no means do i think anyone should take opinions as gospel...i'm just trying to be as fourth coming as possible and get reliable opinons. if i get tested for hsv and test negative, what would be the next closest time to get tested again since my recent exposure was so recent?

thanks again.
you were seen and they suspect folliculitis so odds are that is what it is but cover your bases to be responsible :)

when to test for what is listed in our read before posting post on the forum.
thanks grace, will get tested again for the hsv type specific test. fingers crossed :)
Just an update, chlamidya, gonorea, syphillis (syphilis), hiv, hep, all came back negative today.

I asked for a type specific hsv test to be done and described to the Dr. what i've described above. She mentioned that its very common to get these types of things in the pubic hair region and the fact that it is only one versus a cluster points more to folliculitis then herpes. In any case, I insisted on the test anyways and will get my results back next week.

In addition to this, I had an ultrasound done on my testicles for the dull ache i've been having on and off for a week in my left one. Will get the results back  on that at the same appt.

All in all its pretty stressful but regardless of the outcome wanted to thank you guys for the insights and thoughts.