STDs Expert Forum
Question about treatment

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Question about treatment

I am a man and about three months ago I received unprotected oral sex for about 30 seconds from a woman. I did not ejaculate. I was concerned about STDs so I went to the local STD clinic just before 5 weeks after my exposure. Tests for HIV, syphilis, gonn. and chylm. were negative. However, the clinic was unable to give me a report on the swab tests because the swab had expired.

Fast forward 6 weeks and i began to experience a slight burning sensation in my penis before and after I urinated. Since the unprotected exposure with the woman I didn't know, I have had protected and unprotected oral and vaginal sex with my girlfriend. I thought  I had a urinary infection, so I went to my PCP. He did  a visual exam and checked my prostate and diagnosed it as nonspecific uerthritis. He didn't do any tests and he prescribed me tetracycline 500 mg. 4 times a day.  I took the pills as directed for the first four days and all stinging stopped and I then went back to see the doc because they were making me naseaus. He told me I could take them three times a day if that was the case.

My questions:
Could I have had uerthritis from my initial exposure 3 months ago and the tests failed to pick it up?

Is it more likely I got NGU from normal bacteria from my girlfriend, or is it possibly just a urinary infection?

Is tetracycline still effective in three times a day doses?

After I finish the course of the tetrac, will I have anything else to worry about from my initial exposure?

Should I have another HIV test based on my exposure or is the test at just before 5 wks good enough?

The incubation time is too long; whatever was going on most recently, it wasn't acquired at the even 3 months ago.  I can't say where you got your NGU; normal vaginal bacteria probably don't cause it, but normal oral bacteria may cause some cases.  There is a lot of "overkill" in the standard tetracycline doses; 2-3 doses a day probably works as well as 4x/day.  Your GF also needs treatment, as well as tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea.  Don't worry about your oral exposure 3 months ago.  You don't need another HIV test; oral exposure of the penis is almost zero risk.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Doctor,
I forgot to add, I had no other symptoms other than a slight burning sensation before and after I urinated. There was no discharge at any time that I am aware of.