Question about treatment
I am a man and about three months ago I received unprotected oral sex for about 30 seconds from a woman. I did not ejaculate. I was concerned about STDs so I went to the local STD clinic just before 5 weeks after my exposure. Tests for HIV, syphilis, gonn. and chylm. were negative. However, the clinic was unable to give me a report on the swab tests because the swab had expired.

Fast forward 6 weeks and i began to experience a slight burning sensation in my penis before and after I urinated. Since the unprotected exposure with the woman I didn't know, I have had protected and unprotected oral and vaginal sex with my girlfriend. I thought  I had a urinary infection, so I went to my PCP. He did  a visual exam and checked my prostate and diagnosed it as nonspecific uerthritis. He didn't do any tests and he prescribed me tetracycline 500 mg. 4 times a day.  I took the pills as directed for the first four days and all stinging stopped and I then went back to see the doc because they were making me naseaus. He told me I could take them three times a day if that was the case.

My questions:
Could I have had uerthritis from my initial exposure 3 months ago and the tests failed to pick it up?

Is it more likely I got NGU from normal bacteria from my girlfriend, or is it possibly just a urinary infection?

Is tetracycline still effective in three times a day doses?

After I finish the course of the tetrac, will I have anything else to worry about from my initial exposure?

Should I have another HIV test based on my exposure or is the test at just before 5 wks good enough?

The incubation time is too long; whatever was going on most recently, it wasn't acquired at the even 3 months ago.  I can't say where you got your NGU; normal vaginal bacteria probably don't cause it, but normal oral bacteria may cause some cases.  There is a lot of "overkill" in the standard tetracycline doses; 2-3 doses a day probably works as well as 4x/day.  Your GF also needs treatment, as well as tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea.  Don't worry about your oral exposure 3 months ago.  You don't need another HIV test; oral exposure of the penis is almost zero risk.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Doctor,
I forgot to add, I had no other symptoms other than a slight burning sensation before and after I urinated. There was no discharge at any time that I am aware of.