STDs Expert Forum
Rash and groin pain/ STD or Yeast infection?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello Dr.

About 3 months ago I had unprotected sex with a girl I know. Shortly after (a day) a small rash appeared on my right side of my testicles. Some days later the rash vanished along with my fears. About a week ago the rash reappeared in the exact same spot but this time is a little redder and has begun to flake a little bit. I am experiencing no pain while urinating and very little itchiness (although what little I am experiencing may be psychological). Recently though I have begun to have feelings of tightness around my groin area. It is mild and I would not describe as painful but rather as uncomfortable. Could this be an STD or something less serious? I have read about male yeast infections and am beginning to wonder if that could be the cause.

Any help would be very much appreciated.  
Welcome to the Forum. the onset of your symptoms was too soon for this to be an STD that you caught a day earlier.  In addition, had the rash been due to STD, I doubt that it would have resolved and then returned.  When rashes come and go like this two things come to mind.  First, could you have been exposed to something, a new soap, powder, bath gel, lubricant, other that has caused this rash.  Such rashes can come and go and can sometimes be associated with a mild itch.  Alternatively, you could have a fungal rash (i.e. jock itch). such rashes can certainly itch and may flake.  If this is a fungal infection, it would likely clear with one of the OTC anti-fungal medications that are available in most drug stores.

Hope this helps.  There is little reason to think that this rash might be and STD.  Take care.  EWH
Thank you,

Any ideas about the groin pains? It feels like a V traveling down toward my groin. Like I said, nothing out right painful but it does feel rather uncomfortable from time to time and is certainly noticeable.
Sorry, no clear idea of what this might be.  The symptoms do not suggest an STD however.  EWH
A related discussion, sore rash and std? was started.