STDs Expert Forum
STD Contraction and Chest Pain

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD Contraction and Chest Pain

A week ago from today on March 3rd, I had unprotected vaginal sex with a low risk HIV+ female (26, non-drug user, non prostitute, single mother with one 3yr old daughter).  2 days after the incident, I could tell something was under both of my armpits, but I could not locate it with my fingers, at times it felt hot.  This lasted for a day or two.  Then on Tues Mar 7th, I started having chest pains, nothing stabbing but a feeling of tightness in the center of my chest.  It felt like something was constricting my heart, it was just an annoying scary feeling.  The next day I went to the Dr, told of my problem (didn't mention the sexual incident out of shame), so the Dr. checked my heartrate, pulse, and said everything seemed normal, but wanted to follow up with an ECG.  ECG came back normal, since I was still not satisfied since I did have chest pain, they scheduled me for an ECHO for this afternoon, Fri 10th.  I was prescribed Ibuprofen to relieve any inflammation that may be in my chest.  800mg TID for 3 days.  I'm scared because I have never had this feeling in my chest before, and I'm extra scared because the Dr. said the 'pain' may be caused from a VIRUS!!  When looking up my symptoms online I found that I could have Pericarditis, inflammation of the pericardium which causes chest pain.  The inflammation could be brought on by a VIRUS, EVEN HIV!!! This is the reason why I'm scared.  Could I even experience symptoms of contracting HIV this soon?  I'm not sick, I don't have a sore throat, thrush, muscle aches.  I've only lost weight because I'm scared and haven't been eating.  Why do I have this chest pain?  Please help.  What's the probability that if she did have HIV, that I could contract it on the 1st encounter?  I know I'm way to early in the window period to get tested, but I need to know what's going on inside my body.  Thanks for helping.  

Sxchl
As others already responded (below), your symptoms cannot be due to HIV. It is not possible for HIV to cause symptoms so soon after exposure.  Zero, zilch, not a chance.  And your smptoms don't particularly sound like HIV anyway.  You are being quite irrational and you do not need HIV testing, except as an anxiety-reducing measure.  Follow up with your own doctor.  

HHH, MD
Sorry, I didn't mean that she had HIV, I meant that she probably didn't have HIV because she's a non drug user, non prostitute.  Sorry for the confusion.
No way do you have HIV. However, I wonder whether your chest pain is due to anxiety. Not only is chest pain/tightness a common symptom of anxiety, but you said, "...didn't mention the sexual incident out of shame," which suggests you had very conflicting feelings about this event (and maybe your sexuality in general). Those conflicting feelings could certainly trigger anxiety, which certainly triggers very physical symptoms. What's really funny is that one of my jobs is working as a standardized patient at a med school, and I am just now presenting a case with exactly these symptoms. lol.

Another thing I thought of is maybe GERD, since that can present with tightness in your chest. But honestly, there are a zillion and one reasons for chest pain, and none of them involve STDs. This pericarditis *from a STD* is probably the most remote possibility. I bet pericarditis is almost NEVER caused by any STD, so you can wipe that thought out of your mind. Also, I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't remember whether you said you had an abnormal EKG, but abnormal IS normal for some folks. For instance, I always have abnormal EKGs because of a weird sinus arrhythmia (which is normal in itself, btw - mine just happens to be extreme). I probably just drink way too much coffee, lol. But I'm totally fine - it's just how I am. I'm sure yours will turn out fine too :-)

If you feel anxious (and you do seem quite anxious in this post), you may want to consider seeing a therapist. It can really help :-)
I think monkeyflower has got a point.It's probably anxiety.
Thank you for your comment monkeyflower.  I didn't tell my Dr. about the incident because I'm getting married soon, I'm hetero, that's the only reason I left it out.  I'm only 26 and don't think I should be feeling this chest pain.  Hopefully it's just anxiety or guilt.  Thanks again.