STDs Expert Forum
Scabies Cream.

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Scabies Cream.

Dear Doctor,

Thanks alot for your past reply, i did get to a dermotologist and even an std clinic.  Im having trouble getting a herpes test but was clean for all other std's, and had them look if you can remember at what appeared to be follicalitus, and both (even though i shouldnt have shown the std clinic derms deal with) said it was foll.  However i do have extreme itch still, and symptons of what is called crabs to those who dont know or scabies.  I was told all the medications are over the counter, and arent harmfull to the skin (by both doctors). I was reading about misdiagnosis of scabies which is quite common, and seeing this spreading and the itch continueing can you give me a name of the best over the counter cream? Techniques for instance (drying clothing sheets in extremely hot conditions), certain kinds of hygein?  And info on how well these legions or "pimples" can disapear, i was reading it should be within a week at most, from people who have suffered from scabies and info on the net, please clarify this so i use the right techniques.  You do an excellent job doctor, enjoyed that one philosophical convo you had on hvp, interesting! Thanks alot for all you have done.
The itching from crabs isn't due to the bugs or the bites themselves, but to an allergic reaction to them.  That's why usually there are lots of nits (eggs) and lice when first examined; it takes 2-4 weeks for the allergy to develop, then itching starts, then the nits and lice are seen--but they have had time to reproduce all that time.  At the same time, the allergic symptoms don't go away immediately, even though the lice are killed; it takes another couple of weeks for itching.  A red, bumpy rash can be present.  And on top of all that, all this can predispose to folliculitis.  I suppose you could have scabies simultaneously, but not necessarily

Bottom line:  Sit tight, your continuing symptoms will clear up soon.  You might get some symptomatic relief in the meantime by using one of the over-the-counter steroid creams, i.e. hydrocortisone.  If the problem hasn't improved after all that, return to your derrmatolgist or the STD clinic.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Thank you doctor.  Enough posts for me, keep up the good work.
hello doctor. I have these red rash on my testicles skin area. there are about 10 red bumps and it itches. i was wondering if it can be scabies or anything else. Can you please tell me what it is and how can i go about treating it? thanks Doc
oh by the way doc, ive been exposed to warm weather under the sun and picking up dirty garmets when this occured. Im not sure if it has anything to do with it but i just wanted to inform you. thanks doc.