STDs Expert Forum
Sharp pain in penis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Sharp pain in penis

About two month's ago i had unprotected sex. I would say about two days later i started showing some symptoms. I had very irritating pain in my urethra. Not a burning pain, like a sharp pain. Also after i urinate there is a sticky discharge. Only after i urinate. It doesnt happen during the day out of the blue or anything. Well i went to my docter and filled him in. I had a swab test and pee test done for chlamydia and ghonnerah. Both came back negative. He prescribed me doxycycline for a week two time a day, declaring my condition ngu.

Well three weeks go by and no results. The pain is still there. I go back and my docter retest's me for chlamydia and ghonnereah. Negative again. He then gives me a UA culture testing to find a specific bacteria and for a UTI. That comes back negative. Once this is done he gives me a prostate exam and says it looked fine. Then he told me he thought it was epididymitis( not sure if i spelt that right) Which he told me is bacteria in your testicals. He gives me some more antibiotics for this and two more weeks go by with no results.

Well what do you think. I have a really sharp pain in the penis that wont go away. It hurts to orgasim and slight sticky discharge after i pee. Please help. I appreciate it, thanks.
Your problem is not an STD.  You have had two sets of negative tests for the STDs most likely to cause urethral discharge and pain and they have both been negative.  In addition, you have been treated with antibiotics which make no difference. The diagnosis of epididymitis is typically also accompanied by abnormalities of the laboratory tests he performed (the urine tests) and, as a result, it does not surprise me that you are not improved with the antibiotics you have received.  I can only presume that your doctor has been treating you because he would prefer to be sure that nothing was missed than anything else.  In my clinic, you would not be treated in the absence of abnormal laboratory findings.

In men it is not abnormal for there to be a small to moderate amount of urethral discharge present.   Sometimes after a worrisome sexual exposure this discharge, which is not noticed, is noted.  That there are no laboratory abnormalities associated with it indicates that your discharge is not related to STD.

In many instances, anxiety and/or guilt associated with a sexual exposure to a CSW can lead to discomfort and even pain.  I don't know if this pertains to you or not but I can assure you that from the information that you have provided, there is no reason to be concerned about STD.  I would also caution you from going to too many other doctors.  For better or worse, it is often easier for busy physicians to treat symptoms in the absence of proof that there is disease present than to explain why treatment is not being provided.  

I hope these comments are helpful to you. EWH
Thanks for the quick response. I know you are not my docter and its not the best thing in the world to do to ask these questions online but what would you usualy recommend to a patient from here. It does still hurt and its really bad during any sexual activity. Do you think i should just wait it out and hope it goes away?
Also do you think it might be something else not std related where i could get some treatment? Thanks alot for your time.
If the pain is not getting worse, I would wait it out.  I should get better.  If it is getting worse, I would see a urologist.

This is clearly NOT STD related.  EWH
Thank you very much