STDs Expert Forum
Small bumps on pelvis area

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Small bumps on pelvis area

About 1 month ago I noticed a small bump on my pelvis area (slightly raised oval, no cauliflower shape) (they look similar to a tiny wart one might get on their hand or even a pimple that wont go away without the white tip).  At first I passed it off as a skin irritation from trimming the pubic hair with an electric razor.  Over the last month several other bumps in the same location have appeared totalling about 7 or 8.  These are very small (the first one I popped and it got red and bleed a small bit now it is basically unnoticeable).  There is no pain, or itch.  

I have been tested religiously for std's in the past and I have tried to practise safe sex as best I could.  The only risky experience for me occurred late December of 2009, where I slept with a woman who had some small bumps on her genitals ( she assured me it was a rash from shaving) (I was tested by 3 doctors and all cleared me).  

I saw a doctor last week and he told me he was 95% sure this was folliculitus (folliculitis) and he gave me a prescription for dalacin to apply to the area once a day for 2 weeks.  After one week little has changed. This doctor was at a busy walk in clinic and was with me for about 1.5 minutes so I feared he just brushed it off.  

Last week I coated the area in vinegar and nothing turned white.

Please give me some feedback I have a picture I can send you for more clarity.
Welcome to our Forum. I will be pleased to comment.  Also, please do not send a picture. We do not look at pictures on this site as they tend to be either misleading or non-diagnostic..  

As for the bumps you describe, you have provided a perfect discussion of folliculitis. both in appearance and in location.  Folliculitis occurs when the pores in your skin get plugged.  This allows that normal bacteria that are present on just about every-one's skin to grow and cause what is essentially a pimple.  Some of these just appear as red bumps which may or may not be  tender while others go on to actually form pimples.  In some instances, if you look closely you can see a hair coming out of, or nearby the bump- this too is typical of folliculitis.  It is also because of how they originate that folliculitis occurs most typically in areas where there is hair (such as the public area) and is more common after shaving areas where hair is present.  

I do not think your doctor brushed your problem off.  It is more likely that he recognized this very common problem and knew just what to do for it.

Finally, this do not in any way sound like warts but even if they were, the "vinegar test" is a real waste of time, both missing many lesions and falsely turning white with lesions which are not HPV.

Hope this helps. EWH
I appreciate the feedback, thank you.  My only concern is that there is basically no redness (like the folliculitus (folliculitis) pictures show).  Can folliculitus (folliculitis) show up as just skin coloured round bumps, there are hairs around the area but nothing coming out of the actual bumps.  The bumps have been around for over a month - started as 1 and now there is around 8 or 9 small bumps in the same area and they are not getting larger but they do not seem to be going away.

Are you still convinced this is folliculitus (folliculitis) and not any Std?
I would also like to thank yourself and Dr. Hunter. These forms have been very educational and useful to me, being someone who is very cautious of Std's while at the same time being a young sexually active man I do consider this to be a great resource.  
I cannot be completely sure without examining you. What you describe sounds most like folliculitis.  If you have doubts or concerns, I urge you to seek examination by an experienced clinician.  EWH
A related discussion, Folliculitis or std was started.