STDs Expert Forum
Suddenly noticed a scab on penis shaft

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Suddenly noticed a scab on penis shaft

Doctor as always thank you for your time reading this.

A brief recap of my personal history I worry about my health to the point I believe I may be a hypochondriac. I have been trying not to worry about things as much. I have made some stupid decisions in my sexual activity in my past unfortunately.

What I am currently experiencing is as follows:
Last night I felt a rough spot on the shaft of my penis. Upon examination of the area I observed a tiny scab probably 1mm in diameter and mainly round. I actually had to spead the skin out to see it. Fear took over and I picked it off to reveal and very tiny pinkish red spot on the skin. There is no visible ulceration, no visible bump just like a pink/red pigmented spot with a scab over top of it. I have not had any previous symptoms and have not noticed any unusual itching or abnormalities to my penis until last night. In order to see the red/pink spot I really have to spread the skin out and to see any distinction I need to use a bright light. It may be notable that I masturbated earlier in the day without any lubrication, which is a common practice for me.

I have noticed similar incidents before after rigorous moments of masturbation or after a day of multiple episodes of masturbation. I have noticed after those incidents before sometimes what looks like a small break in the skin or tiny almost unvisible cut in the skin that scabs quickly. These scabs typically are easily pulled off or fall off in the shower and heal in a day or two. I have experienced this maybe 3 times over the last year, not always in the same spot. I had an incident earlier in 2006 where I had a tiny cut looking abraison that quickly scabbed and healed in a day or two. This also typically occurs on the side of my penis where my finger tips end during masturbation.

My obvious fear is Herpes or HPV. I dont think it would be HPV because the
If you truly had a scab, then you had to have a cut or other lesion for at least a week.  That is regardless of the cause--herpes, abrasion from masturbation, or anything else.  In that case, I suppose it could be herpes. The way to know is to have a blood test, but I don't have any particular advice one way or the other.  Or maybe it wasn't a scab.  You are a better judge than I can be.  If in doubt, see a health care provider.  I can't help further.

HHH, MD
I also should note I have no other symptoms, have not experienced any warning signs and have not been sexually active for about 6 weeks. The spot on my penis is also not painful, burning itching etc.
Thanks Doc, I do not know what the herpes blisters or vesicles look or act like. I think this was a scab only because it was rough feeling and I picked it off of my skin to find a red/pink area underneath. Could that be mistaken for a blister or ulcer?

Is it actually possible to receive a tiny scab from masturbation?

How common of a herpes episode would this be? no prodome, single tiny spot, no blister or ulcer, no other typical symptoms and short period of noticing a scab. For some reason I do not remember having a scab or anything rough in that area the day prior when I masturbated.

I understand its nearly impossible to speculate over the net and I appreciate the words of advice.
Sounds like nothing may be abnormal at all.  Certainly doesn't sound like herpes.  (A blister looks like a blister looks like a blister--it's not all that tough.)  But if you're concerned, why are you wasting time on line?  Visit a health care provider for a herpes blood test.  I won't have any further replies.

HHH, MD
Hey Doc,

Am curious about something you just said - why do you need to have a cut or ulcer for a week to get a scab?

(I've had very similar symptoms to this poster and a Hsv1+, HSV2- blood test, which is why I'm interested).
I also have had similar occurences as you noted. I have tested negative for herpes via blood test. THe sexual clinic doc i saw thought it was inflammed follicles, which I have up to mid shaft on my penis. I also shave the area a bit every now and masturbation can disturb it as well. Anxiety can make you see things and over react to situations, examing too closely, etc. You dont say when the last time you had sex was, herpes can at any time, but primarily within 2 weeks of getting it. If you consistently use condoms the risk is even less. I doubt is this herpes, as it does not sound typical. The doc cannot give u a diagnosis online for obvious reasons. Go to a STD clinic or a dermatologist and see what they think. Otherwise I wouldnt worry about it. Take care.
thanks for the other replies everyone... Good to see Im not the only one with this problem. Kinda weird the area actually has a defined border as if it were a bump or a ulcer but is so smll i cant feel or see either... Im assuming its just some trauma.