STDs Expert Forum
Symptoms of yeast infection, culture negative for everything -- help

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi, hoping someone can give me some advice...

I've been having symptoms of a yeast infection for a couple of months now. My doctor diagnosed it by looking under the microscope, and prescribed Diflucan, which only made the symptoms about 10 times WORSE. I then tried Monistat, which helped minimally. Last time I went back, my doctor again saw yeast under the microscope, but also did a culture, which came back completely NEGATIVE for everything -- any species of yeast, bacteria, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea. I am now entirely confused. I've been searching the internet for reasons why a culture could come back negative when the microscropic diagnosis was positive -- and I can't find anything. It doesn't seem like something that should happen. My doctor doesn't know what to tell me. In the meanwhile I am still uncomfortable. I have been avoiding sex with my boyfriend for fear that whatever this is might pass to him, and it's been putting a strain on us. I'm afraid I might have some serious or permanent problem. No idea what to do.
Greetings. Welcome to the forum.  But I doubt I can help much.  When direct examination and testing by a knowledgeable provider doesn't come up with clear answers, it is rare than an online source can do so.

Probably you have a yeast infection; in many ways the microscopic diagnosis by a doctor is is more accurate than culture, which often misses the organism.  About 90% of yeast infections are caused by Candida albicans, which is senstive to the imidazole drug class, which includes both Diflucan and Monistat.  Most of the rest are caused C. glabrata, which is resistant to the imidazoles and requires alternative treatments, such as nystatin (usually sold generically) or caspofungin (Cancidas).  You should discuss this possibility with your doctor.

In the meantime, I see little reason for concern about STDs.  The symptoms of yeast are generally quite typical, and STDs typically do not cause the same sort of symptoms.  Your negative tests for common STDs also are reassuring.

Avoiding sex until this is sorted out probably makes sense, but mostly just for reasons of comfort.  It is unlikely you have anything that could harm your boyfriend, so if sex isn't uncomfortable and doesn't make your symptoms worse, feel free.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you for your response.

Since posting this I've had two more cultures come back negative for yeast. I don't know what to think because the symptoms haven't gone away and they are still exactly like yeast. I don't know if I should I ignore the tests and try to treat it with some over-the-counter antifungal. I had no luck with that before, but anything is better than sitting here miserable.
Sorry that my earlier lead didn't sort thing out.  But unfortunately there is nothing more I can do.  Your problem isn't an STD, which is the only expertise this forum has.  In my STD clinic, we refer patients like you do gynecologists.  Best of luck--