STDs Expert Forum
Unprotected oral sex - receptive fellatio

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dr. HHH and Dr Hook,

Hi there, If I may i would like to ask your advice on a little situation I have gotten myself into........

I'm a straight guy, 36 who has been in a realtionship with my now wife since high school (about 20 years). During that time I have never gone outside this relationship, never had anal sex or used drugs in any way or put myself or my relationship at risk in anyway. I have had two previous HIV tsts for the purposes of travel and insurance, both were obviously negative. However i suspect my story is far from unqiue and that you have heard it a thousand times before. Last week while on a rather heavy stag do in London, I received a an unprotected ******** from an anonymous male. the act it self last for roughly about 20 seconds and to be honest i was so drunk that I didn;t think of any consquences. I have no idea of this chap's sero-status and whether he had any other STI's.

It's now been 6 days since this incident and I'm quite worried bith for myself and for my wife. Haven't had sex since but we are trying to start a family so would like to have sex again.

I am showing no obvious symptoms of any kind; no pain on passing urine, no testiclualr pain, no pus or encrustaion around the penis and no rashes, blisters or lesions around the gential (genital) area or the penis itself. I noticed that this morning when i passed water after gettign out of bed my urine was slighty cloudy.

I'm probably going to get a urine test for cham and gonn done on the NHS this week.

My questions;

1. Was i at risk of contracting HIV from this incident? And should I be tested?

2. What are my risks of contracting an STI like Chlamidia and Gonnerhea? And should I be tested?

3. What are the time frames to be tested?
Welcome to the Forum.  MedHelp’s software has deleted which ort of sex act you participated in but my sense is that it was receipt of oral sex.  If that is the case, your risk is low.  

1.  Oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs, including HIV.  The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner (statistically it is unlikely that your partner had HIV) is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  I would not worry about HIV.

2.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through oral sex; chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.   If you had gotten gonorrhea or NGU you would have most likely developed symptoms of urethritis (penile infection).  Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely he did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.  I would urge you not to worry but at the same time, to be sure, testing for gonorrhea and NGU is reasonable at this time.

3.  You can be tested for gonorrhea at any time more than 3 days after your exposure.  If you decide to get HIV testing, I would wait until 6 weeks following your exposure for testing.  Take care.  EWH
Dr Hook,

Thank you for teh prompt reply to my question. And for the insightful answers. You have helped me a greta deal and stopped me from freaking out! I did not notice any sores or lesions on the other guy, though can;t be sure.

I have an appointment @ an NHS GUM clinic tomorrow morning and will be providing a urine sample to test for gonorreha and Chlamydia. I'm now confident that this is just for peace of mind.

Does the instance of cloudy urine from my first urinination of the day this morning give you cause for concern at all? I've noticed that as the day has gone on and I have drunk fluids my urine is now crystal clear.

Again many thanks.
No, your cloudy urine is a nonspecific finding.  It would not raise any particular concerns for me.  EWH
Just out of interest I tested via swab and urine sample for Cham & Gonn 7 days after my possible exposure. Would that be a sufficent time frame?
Yes it would.  I predict the tests will be negative.  EWH
They were. One less thing to worry about. Will be going for a shypilis test tomorrow or next week.

Thank you.