STDs Expert Forum
Unprotected oral sex

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Unprotected oral sex

I recently received oral sex from a massage therapist without using a condom and i ejaculated in her mouth, several days later i felt a slight pain during urination. The pain was brief (only that one time),and hasn't been an issue since. I've been worried sick since this happened. I have a family and much to lose, i feel incredibly guilty and would do anything to turn back the clock. Since that time, i've had unprotected sex with my wife and i'm worried i could have exposed her to something. She came home from work last night complaining of a sore throat and body aches. Could this be a coincidence? I'm constantly checking my penis for any signs of trouble, nothing at this time; however  im feeling every little itch and sensitivity in that region, could this be the anxiety i have? My life as i know it now would be over if my foolish actions have led to an std. What are the chances that ive contracted something and passed it on?
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be happy to provide some guidance.  As a starting point, let me point out that it is unlikely that your partner had an STI of any sort- most people, even most commercial sex workers, do not.  further, amongst sex act, oral sex is a rather inefficient means of acquiring STIs.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through oral sex; for all practical purposes, chlamydia is not and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.  There is also currently a large amount of overstatement of the risk of HPV and its very rare consequence, oral cancer, related to HPV infections is excessive and should not be a concern either.  If you had gotten gonorrhea or NGU you would have most likely developed symptoms of urethritis (penile infection).  the single episode of discomfort your experienced is unlikely to be a sign of STI- when STIs occur symptoms continue or even worsen over time.

If you desire evaluation, I would suggest getting checked for NGU, either with a swab taken from your penis or with evaluation of white blood cells in a urine specimen collected just as you begin to urinate.  If there are not white blood cells, there is no reason to worry,

I suspect that your wife's sore throat and other symptoms are coincidence, nothing more.

I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH
Mr Hook,

Thank you for the quick response. And yes, i found your comments to be very helpful. You mention that oral is a very ineffcient means of catching STI, what do you feel the actual chances are?  What are your thoughts about the sensitivity i'm feeling? Can stress and anxiety be causing my awareness to what might otherwise be normal but i never really paid attention to? My unprotected ral sex occured on May 31, do you feel like i would have already seen signs if i contracted an sti like gonnerrhea or NGU. Lastly, it seems as if im urinating more often, does this mean anything or perhaps my minds playing tricks on me.
This is a series of "what if", unanswerable questions.  What are the odds that your partner was infected?  What are the odds the infection was in her mouth?  How often are STIs transmitted by oral sex are all unansweraqble questions.  Your odds of infection are less than 1% overall I would guess but how much less cannot be said.  

Yes. your anxiety may be causing you to note sensations you would overlook otherwise.

STIs do not cause urinary frequency in men.  

EWH