STDs Community
Vaginal Fluid Lab Results

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Vaginal Fluid Lab Results

Well today me and my girlfriend approached my girlfriend's gynecologist with the lab results he had asked for. He looked at them and said they were fine and that my girlfriend was healthy. He said that abundant bacteria was normal, and that the symptoms she had were due to fungi she had gotten from an intense antibiotic treatment. The fungi probably do not appear on the test because she was already undergoing treatment for the fungi when we approached the gynecologist for the first time.

Should we get a second opinion, or are the results consistent with my girlfriend being healthy? When we saw the results; before showing them to the doctor, we thought she had trichomoniasis, but then again we are not doctors and have no idea how these lab results should be interpreted.

Direct, Includes Trichomonas:

Epithelial cells - Regular Quantity
Leukocytes - Low Quantity
Bacteria - Abundant Quantity

Gram: Gram Bacillus (+) abundant quantity

Bacterial Culture: Normal development of microbial flora

Fungal Cultire: Negative after 3 days

Endocervical Chlamydia: Negative

Mycoplasma and Ureaplasma Culture: Negative Mycoplasma Hominis and Negative Ureaplasma Urealyticum
Tags: Chlamydia, vaginal, vaginitis, vaginal fuilds, lab results, test, Doctor, trichomonasis, trichomonas, trichomoniasis
make sure that herpes was included in both of your std testing. it's typically not a part of routine std testing and you want to properly cover that base too.  

bv is just a bacterial infection of the vagina. it's very common in females. we don't consider it std related.

not sure why they gave you 3 different antibiotics for what you tested + for.  sounds like over kill to me and now your gf is having to struggle with a yeast infection too because of it all :(  
did she have a vaginal infection she was being treated for prior to the yeast infection treatment or were the antibiotics for a different issue?

are these test results from a swab of her cervix?

grace
Yes, she got treated for chlamydia and hence had to take antibiotics. She also got appendicitis, for which she also had to take antibiotics. So that's where the yeast infection probably came from. Doctor knows this.

From what my girlfriend explained, they extracted liquid from her vagina (they put a tube in there for a while and then extracted it).

Hope this information helps grace.
at this point, she should just wait a month and repeat testing just for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally ( just because sometimes bacteria is due to bv, not necessarily due to a std which I assume is your real concern for posting this info here  ). usually her provider can do this right in the office without having to send out to the lab. odds are everything will clear up by then but best to be sure.

were you both tested for all std's at the proper times after your last partners?
I was tested, came out positive for chlamydia and ureaplasma. I got treated, and so did she. I got re tested and came back negative for everything. Came out negative for trichomonas both times.

I convinced my girlfriend to get tested after treatment, even though they said with the treatment thay gave us it was not really necessary (3 different antibiotics), because she was having irritation and itchyness.

She got tested, and above are the results. Doctor said she was healthy. I just wanted to make sure that what the doctor said was coherent with the test results. What is BV?