STDs Expert Forum
Whats the difference between fordyce's spots and genital warts?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Whats the difference between fordyce's spots and genital warts?

Recently i have noticed little bumps on the sides of my penis shaft. I am 18 years old with very little sexual activity, I have always had protected sex but a couple times recieved oral without a condom on. The bumps are hard to notice most of the time but when I am erect I can see them much better and even feel then raise up a slightly. From what I have read they sound like fordyce's spots but how can I know that is the case instead of warts? So my main question is whats the difference between fordyce's spots and genital warts?
Related Discussions
239123_tn?1267651214
Fordyce's spots are a normal anatomic variant.  Warts are due to infection with the virus called human papillomavirus (HPV).

I don't get into online diagnosis based on description of symptoms, lesions, etc. Since you aren't sure what you have, you need to see a health care provider for diagnosis and, if indicated, treatment.  A good bet is your local health department STD clinic, where expert care will be available at little (usually no) cost, and with total confidentiality--including your parents, if you still live at home.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
4 Comments
Blank
I know that warts is a virus, my question had more to do with the appearance. If I have warts will they be obvoius or could they be just small raised bumps like what i described in my post above. Im almost positive that they are fordyce's spots based on past posts and descriptions, but i am still worried. I am seeing a dermatologist soon, will he/she be able to determine what they are?
Blank
239123_tn?1267651214
Yes, that's the only way to be certain:  See a knowledgeable health care provider.  I can't tell from your description which possibility is more likely.

HHH, MD
Blank
I too have noticed maybe 4 or 5 little white tiny bumps like this....they are just below the head of the penis where circumcision starts and only really noticable if erected.  Otherwise, I have to pull the skin back to even see them and they appear underneath the skin I think.

I have had a doctor look at me and said it was not STD but just wanting confirmation here.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank