STDs Expert Forum
Wondering About Possible Transfer

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Wondering About Possible Transfer

I am a male, single, 30yrs of age, in a serious relationship.
Never had an STD
Negative HIV test in October 2005.

I recently had unprotected sex with a female friend that I have been knowing for about 9 months, once on a Friday and then again on a Tuesday.  By Thursday I was feeling a burning sensation after urination (not during) and was also feeling pain in an around my left testacle(the lingering kicked in the nuts feeling) and a little discomfort around my bladder area.  Then on Friday thinking nothing of my symptoms had sex with my actual girlfriend of a long monogamous relationship unprotected.  Just upset because this is the first time I have been unfaithful and don't want to give her anything.  I went to an urgent care clinic 5 days later(on Monday) and a Family Doctor(on Tuesday).  They both were speculating that I had either Chlamydia or Gonorhea.  The urgent care clinic gave me the swab test(which hurts like nothing I have ever felt).  The Family Doctor gave the urinalysis test.  I was pleased to find that both came out negative.  The urgent care clinic diagnosed me with having a Non Specific Urethritis and prescribed me doxycycline before I left out the door.  The Family Doctor diagnosed me with having a Urinary Tract Infection and gave me Ciproflaxcin again before I left the door.

The young lady has only had sex with one other person unprotected.  Whom she was with for years. He had been tested for HIV in October 2005 as well and his test results came back negative.  

Just some background information now to the point.  

The young lady has since told me that she gets reuccurring bacterial vaginitis from Gardnerella and uses Metrogel.  She went to her GYNO on Thursday(a week after I first began feeling pain).  Her GYNO discovered that she had another episode of BV and that Gardnerella was present.  Her previous boyfriend of 2-3 years never experienced any symptoms.  

So I am wondering:

1. Is this the cause of my symptoms?
2. If her Gardnerella is the cause could I have possibly passed it on to my girlfriend?  Is it infectous? Do I have anything to pass on?
3. Would a menstrual cycle two days after us having sex flush it out of her?
4. If I did pass it on to my Girlfriend how long will it take for her to develop symptoms if any?
5. My symptoms are still ongoing after taking 3 days of the doxycycline and 2 days of the Cyproflaxin. (The Pharmacist said that Ciproflaxin would help more that is why I switched.)I have tried icing my testacles, have greatly increased my water intake, started taking cranberry pills.  
6. What are the possibilities of Epidymitis, Orchitis or any other STD's?
7. I want to be sure I am safe for my girlfriend, am I?

Sorry so long winded just wanted to be as thorough as possible.
My anxiety is running at an all time high because I don't want to lose my Girlfriend.  Please help.
Assuming both the swab and urine tests checked for gonorrhes and chlamydia and both were negative, you can be 100% confident you don't have either of these.  But you don't say the basis of the diagnosis of nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) (same thing as "nonspecific" urethritis).  If the clinic just made that as an assumption based on your symptoms, plus the negative other tests, then I'm not certain you had it.  However, if they made a definite diagnosis, you have it.  If so (or if in doubt), your regular partner needs to be examined and treated. Your casual partner also needs to discuss the possible need for treatment with her own provider.

To answer your specific questions:

1 and 2) Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is not transmitted to men and is not the cause of your symptoms.  Gardnerella is normal in the vagina; it grows to high levels in BV, but is not the cause and is not at all harmful in itself.  As suggested above, you might have acquired nonchlamydial NGU.  However, your symptoms were nonspecific and not necessarily an indication of any infection at all.  There's simply no way for me to tell; the providers who examined you are the ones to ask.  Perhaps anxiety is the main explanation.

3) Mesntruation does not clear up BV or any other infecttion.

4) Some of the suspected causes of nonchlamydial NGU can be harmful in women.  She might not get any symptoms, but she might be at risk for pelvic inflammatory disease or even infertility. If you had NGU, your girlfriend needs to be examined and treated, both to protect her health and prevent you from being reinfected.

5)  The lack of response to antibiotics is evidence against any infection at all, increasing the likelihood of anxiety or some sort of non-infectious inflammation.  The pharamcist was wrong; doxycycline is more reliable than ciprofloxacin against the likely causes of NGU, and it often takes more than 2 days for symptoms to clear up.  If any antibiotic change was needed, azithromycin would have been a better choice.

6) Epididymitis or orchitis has not been known to occur as a result of nonchlamydial NGU.

7) As indicated above, you may or may not be safe for your girlfriend.  If in doubt, she needs to be examined and, to be safe, treated with doxycycline or azithromycin.

Bottom line: Based on what you describe, I cannot tell whether your had NGU, some sort of chemical irritation, or perhaps just anxiety.  Discuss it with the providers who examined you and decide with them about what if anything to say to your girlfriend.  Don't worry about your own health, however; although your GF may be at risk for a serious outcome, you are not.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Dr. Thanks for answering my question(s).

The urgent care doctor said after the swab test came back negative that the cause was unknown.  They just said it was Non specific urethritis and that I had nothing that was infectous to anyone or to spread to anyone.

The Family Doc. said it was a urinary tract infection after the urinalysis came back negative.  That is the bulk of the explanation I recieved.  

Gardnerella Vaginillis is already in a women. However; Web MD said it is possible causes for a UTI in a man?

I have been on some sort of antibiotic (Cypro or Doxy) for seven days now and still have symptoms.  Maybe it is Non-specific non bacterial inflammation and I just need to relax.  

Thanks again.
i have had similar symptoms. i havent had a swab done, no doctors (i've seen 4 including a urologist) thought it necessary.
i'm considering it anyway to clear my mind of whatever is going on.
was it painful, or not as bad as you'd think?
It is terribly painful!  Good luck with it.  I am going to see a urologist tomorrow.  What did they diagnose you with.
well, my family doctor said prostatitis. the urologist said NGU. ive had this since february 1.
I have been on Antibiotics for 20 days now and still have the same symptoms.  

Went to the Urologist and he said the young lady had nothing to give me.  So....  

Just wondering how long it will take for my symptoms to clear up.
ive had my symptoms since feb. it sucks.
A related discussion, epididimytis was started.