STDs Expert Forum
Would 1 hit of marijuana cause a genital wart outbreak?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi, I recently got a medical marijuana card (I live in Boulder, CO), for my anxiety and OCD issues to kind of calm them down. Anyway I didn't know if marijuana increases chances / susceptibility to my HPV disease. I woke up the next morning with sort of a redish small lesion with what looks to be a little whitehead in the center of it. Could my smoking yesterday of a single hit of marijuana have led to a genital wart the next morning? Or is this just from normal sexual intercourse (possibly an irritation?) Studies show conflicting results if marijuana decreases immune function and I thought to myself a single hit of marijuana couldn't pose any actual immune system supression, could it? Also, if it could cause this wart the next morning after smoking, what should I do to flush my system out so I don't get more warts? ps. I am a 23 year old male
Welcome to our Forum.  There are no data whatsoever that marijuana biologically increases risk for HPV or any other STD.  Obviously, there are occasions when the drug may change a person's decision making in a way which can put some people at risk.  

As far as the lesion you describe is concerned, it does not suggest HV or, for that matter any other STD as relates to the exposure you describe.  There are NO STDs which lead to symptoms within 24 hours of exposure.  The lesion you describe, with its central white area sounds as though it could be folliculitis or some other benign skin disease, not an STD. The best way to get it sorted out however is to have a trained health care provider who is comfortable and experienced in looking at genital lesions take a look. In the meantime, not reason to worry that this might be an STD.  EWH
I also forgot to tell you that this is the first time I have smoked in over 3 years, and like I said it was just a single hit.
Yes but I already have HPV and sometimes on occasion get genital warts. There's no evidence that by smoking marijuana it increases the frequency of someone that gets genital warts to get more warts? If you could answer this it would be greatly appreciated.--Thanks, Mike
Your OCD is showing,. I answered this.  There is no evidence that marijuana increases the frequency of genital warts OR increases the frequency with which warts appear OR increases the number of warts a person gets,  Further, in your case, warts do not and and would not appear within 24 hours of a sexual expsoure.  EWH