STDs Expert Forum
chlamydia and my wife

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

chlamydia and my wife

Hello doctors
I am male and  married with a beautiful and faithful wife. I have been married for a year but before that I had other sex parteners too. 2 years ago I had a chlamydial infection  which I treated with doxycycline and azithro
I treated my wife(back than she was my girlfriend) too even if she was without symptoms. Since than I have been practicing only protected sex with my wife.
2 weeks ago my wife went to a gynecologist and she( a woman doctor) told her that my wife is fine. I wanted my wife to do the specific chlamydia tests from cervix but the doctor considered that she doesn't need to do it and ordered some blood antibodies tests from chlamydia first and told my wife that if these tests would come back positive than she will do the specific chlamydia test. The blood tests came back fine( Ig M,G and A for chlamydia were in good numbers and not high..
Yesterday I practiced for the first time since 2 years unprotected sex with my wife and now I am thinking if she has chlamydia or not..The problem is that I don't trust these blood antibodies tests since they are not reliable as I know.
The questions:
1. What is the chance for my wife to have chlamydia now if she was treated then with Azitro, has no other sex parteners and has the blood antibodies tests negative?
2.Should she perform the specific chlamydia test from cervix? or she is already safe..and so am I?
Excuse my bad english.
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for your question.

You are correct to not trust the chlamydia blood tests; they are not very reliable.  However, in this case I believe they are giving accurate results in your wife.  I doubt you or your wife have chlamydia at this time.  It sounds like your wife received proper treatment (azithromycin) -- but even if you did not have proper treatment, or if your wife somehow took the wrong dose, most chlamydial infections clear up on their own within a year.

Most likely neither you nor your wife is still infected and no further testing is needed.  But tell me more about your chlamydial infection a couple of years ago.  Did you have symptoms?  A positive test or urine or a urethral swab?  How were you treated and what were the details of your wife's azithromycin treatment?  

Regards--  HHH, MD
tHX
I went to a infectionist doctor in my country and I did some blood tests like the ones my wife did
I had no symptoms but I was given azithro a single dose and doxy for 5 days
My doctor advised me than to give my wife a dose of azitro too and I did
So I can relax now? I am chlamydia free?
And as we discussed already, the chlamydia blood test is not reliable anyway.  The blood test is equally likely to be positive from a past infection as from a present one, or from an infection with non-sexually transmitted respiratory chlamydial infection.  It probably was wise to treat you and your wife as a precaution when you had the positive test, but probably you didn't have chlamydia at all.  In addition, you and your wife both had highly reliable treatment.  For these reasons, and for the ones discussed above, you can be certain you and your wife are not currently infected with chlamydia.