STDs Expert Forum
family planning

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

family planning

Doctors,

Tomorrow I am to start to try for a family with my wife but something has been eating away at me.

This past Wednesday I went to one of those seedy asian massage parlors, it seemed clean and sterile.  The masseuse then gave me a "handjob" with oil.  It was a little dark so I couldn't see if her hands were clean of lesions or cuts.  

There was no other altercation.  No oral sex or vaginal sex.

Can you please explain to me in lehmans terms if I was at risk to any STD's (HIV included please)?  I have had no symptoms (yet), but am fearful as I do not wish to put my wife at risk for anything tomorrow when we have unprotected sex.  Do I have something to worry about?  Something to test for? I am terrified I made a fatal mistake and may have brought alot of pain into my life.

Thank You.

Welcome to our forum. The exposure you describe was close to no risk for getting any STD.  STDs like gonorrhea, chlamydia and HIV all require penetrative sexual contact to be transmitted and are not transmitted by masturbation (hand jobs).  Several STDs like syphilis or herpes can theoretically be transmitted by direct contact with infected sites without penetration but for you to get these sorts of infections through receipt of masturbation is virtually unheard of- the person would have to have a sore on the hand they used to masturbate you.  In over 30 years of practice, I have never seen an STD transmitted by receipt of masturbation.

I would consider this a no risk exposure.  I see no need for you to worry and no need for you to be tested.  EWH
I have a few general questions I had forgotten to ask earlier.  My earlier question was in regard to the handjob I received on Wednesday.  My only other extra marital affairs have been 2 of these exact such occurances back in february of this year, as well as one act of unprotected oral sex, and protected vaginal sex with a sex worker back in december.  I tested with an elisa test at 3 and 6 months for that encounter.  Both negative for HIV, syphyllys, and Hep a,b, and c.

1.  You say masturbation is a no risk activity.  My wife has been experiencing rather bad post nasal drip for almost a year now, all the while having sex with me while I have "veered" with masturbation.  Is post nasal drip a possible symptom of something to worry about?

2.  I have what's called "alopecia barbrae" which is a small patch (dime sized) on my face where all of a sudden facial hair stopped growing.  I have had 2 negative HIV tests out to 6.5 months after the sex worker incident.  I have read this is an autoimmune disorder.  Is autoimmune the same as the immune problem caused by an early HIV infection?

3.  Could my 6.5 month negative elisa test have been a false negative?  

Basically, within the last 8 months, the ONLY exposures I have had have been 3 handjobs with oil.   Could the one act of sex with the sex worker back in december have come back to bite me late?

Thanks, worried as I can possibly be.
Straight to your new questions:

1.  No, this is not cause for concern.  Your wife sounds like she has a cold.
2.  No, your alopecia barber is in no way related to HIV. Believe your test results.
3.  No, again, believe the test results.  Your exposures were low risk and your test proved that you i not get HIV.

Try to relax.  Your most recent exposure was no risk an you did not get HIV from the other no risk encounters you describe.  EWH
So based on the 3 handjobs I've had I can be worry free with unprotected sex with my wife without any fear?
LAst answer.  You need not worry about STDs from receipt of masturbation. Nothing you have mentioned suggests that you should abstain from unprotected sex with your wife to protect her from an STD acquired through your no risk exposures.  

This thread is now over.  EWH