STDs Expert Forum
minocycline

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

minocycline

Will 100mg of minocycline twice a day be effective against gonorrhea and chlamydia and other urinary infections
Minocycline is 100% reliable against chlamydia.  Many gonorrhea strains are resistant, however, and so are many of the bacteria that cause UTI.

HHH, MD
Should I give the minocycline a try. I had penal discharge last thursday and a little burning on urination. The discharge was yellow green and now its almost clear, does it mean the minocycline is working. I had a anal sexual encounter with a male two days before, it just lasted a couple minutes, but it must have caused my symptoms.
thanks
You absolutely should not give minocycline a try.  You should see an STD-knowledgeable health care providerr for a proper diagnosis, which will guide the approrpaite treatment.  If the discharge was yellowish, you probably had gonorrhea, and as I said above, minocycline is not reliable against that infection.  Stop screwing around and get proper evaluation; it is just plain stupid to do otherwise.

I will have not futher comment unless/until you report back on what a health care provider found and recommended.

HHH, MD
I took your advice, and went to the doctor. He gave me a prescription for SUPRAX(cefixime 400mg one dose) and told me to stay on the minocycline. Is this the right  choice for gonorrhea.
thanks in advance.
Yes, cefixime plus a tetracycline (such as minocycline) is one of the primary recommended regimens for gonorrhea.  Did your doctor confirm that diagnosis?

I'm curious if you are in the US; if so, where?  And what kind of clinic/doctor (private, STD clinic)?  Did they have cefixime on the premises, or did you have a presription filled in a pharmacy?  I ask because cefixime hasn't been available in the US for almost 3 years and we have been waiting for a new distributor to get up to speed.  As far as I knew, the drug was not yet available again.  Thanks for the information.

HHH, MD
I am in reno,nv I went to my private doctor. From my symptoms he ordered a urine test, and gave me a prescription. The pharmacy had to order it overnight from sacramento. It came in powder form and they mixed it with water right there. I may not have had gonnorhea (Gonorrhea), I'll find out next week, because my symptoms really got better in less then a week. I also had a mild outbreak of herpes at the same time I experienced the other symptoms. I only had one yellow green discharge, and the burning sensation, which was very slight, and I also get this symptom with herpes, went away quickly. But either way I will find out next week. I didn't have any syptoms (symptoms) for syphilis, and he wasn't able to do a blood test. I may go to a std clinic for a blood test for syphilis just to be safe. I had syphilis years ago, would I still show a postive result
thanks in advance